Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Garrydw

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Garrydw »

IMHO, you should never use "Under Construction" or "Coming Soon".

Develop off-line and when it is ready, then bring it on-line.

Goodnight,

Garry
yeah yeah yeah... I know... it will be ready when it's ready.

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

Garrydw wrote: IMHO, you should never use "Under Construction" or "Coming Soon".

Develop off-line and when it is ready, then bring it on-line.

Goodnight,

Garry

And bug test offline? How can you release stable software if it doesn't see the light of day until release? If any piece of software was not bug tested throughly (ie publicly) it would be worthless when release day came.

I know you're referring more to the website example than phpBB3, but I feel that it still applies. You can't hide things from the public, no matter how many people will complain about waiting.

Garrydw

Post by Garrydw »

I am only referring to the web site. I understand the debugging process, although I think it is taking an awful long time. I just think the web site launch should have been simultaneous to the launch of RC1 at minimum. If phpBB 2.x is the stable release, then a web site that is developed for phpBB 2.x makes sense. A web site for phpBB 3 and a bunch of message saying, "it's ready when it's ready" is lame in my opinion.

I still love the software though. :D

Garry

Fountain of Apples

Post by Fountain of Apples »

Garrydw wrote: I am only referring to the web site. I understand the debugging process, although I think it is taking an awful long time. I just think the web site launch should have been simultaneous to the launch of RC1 at minimum. If phpBB 2.x is the stable release, then a web site that is developed for phpBB 2.x makes sense. A web site for phpBB 3 and a bunch of message saying, "it's ready when it's ready" is lame in my opinion.

I still love the software though. :D

Garry

As was the original plan. However, their server unexpectedly went down last month which resulted in them having to buy new hard drives, and they figured that as long as the server was down and they were going to have to rebuild the whole thing, they might as well put up the new website.

Had they stuck with original plan, they would have spent days rebuilding the old website, and then a few months later taken the server down and spent days building the new website. Doing the new website then seemed to make more sense.

Had the server not totally failed, we wouldn't even know what prosilver looked like right now. ;)
A successful community begins with YOU. Tag, you're it.

Garrydw

Post by Garrydw »

Fountain of Apples wrote: Had the server not totally failed, we wouldn't even know what prosilver looked like right now. ;)

No backup of the site? huh!? 8O

So if the server hadn't failed then RC1 would be even further off becuase we wouldn't be seeing prosilver right now and therefore, all the bugs being reported in prosilver couldn't exist yet?

Ummm..... I happy the server failed I guess :?

Fountain of Apples

Post by Fountain of Apples »

Garrydw wrote:
Fountain of Apples wrote: Had the server not totally failed, we wouldn't even know what prosilver looked like right now. ;)

No backup of the site? huh!? 8O

So if the server hadn't failed then RC1 would be even further off becuase we wouldn't be seeing prosilver right now and therefore, all the bugs being reported in prosilver couldn't exist yet?

Ummm..... I happy the server failed I guess :?

I will refer back to an announcement that psoTFX wrote on January 14, 2005, in which he said that the new style would not ship with the betas, it would not ship with the RCs, it would only ship with the final release.
A successful community begins with YOU. Tag, you're it.

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Fountain of Apples,

I have heard a stubborn rumor about somebody posting :
Hehehe... our users went for it hook, line and sink.

between the site went down as planned 10th March '07 and came up again 18th March '07 - However, I do not recall who told me that, nor who should have posted something like that somewhere ...

Garrydw

Post by Garrydw »

Fountain of Apples wrote: I will refer back to an announcement that psoTFX wrote on January 14, 2005, in which he said that the new style would not ship with the betas, it would not ship with the RCs, it would only ship with the final release.

So then it would have been out sooner! Something smells fishy :lol:

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Garrydw,

Are you J/K or haven't you studied the last couple of days CVS's?

Garrydw

Post by Garrydw »

I am going off the posting from Fountain of Apples where he quotes psoTFX stating that prosilver was not going to be released in the RC's and it would only ship with the final release.

Given that, RC would definately be out sooner as we would not be dealing with all of these prosilver issues yet. We would at least have RC1 with subsilver (sooner than later) and we could has out the prosilver issues after the final release.