Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Locked
Shadow Reaper
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:04 am

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Shadow Reaper »

Black Antitoon wrote: No proSilver and RC1 without proSilver now would have been better. ProSilver is NOT phpBB 3, it's a style, so why releasing and testing it as if it was a part of the board? The bug tracker contains lots of proSilver issues which should not go there. I think they should have released proSilver as a separate test version of a new style, not as a part of Olympus.

As it's not an ordinary style, but the new default style, it does need to be tested. As for when and where it should have been tested, well I disagree with you. I think that it being tested now as it's a total new style is a good thing. Also, as bugs for the rest of phpbb3, testing it really is a good chance as it is doing testing on 2 systems at once.

It has been along time in the making, and a couple more weeks on that isn't much.
User avatar
jumborex
Registered User
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:33 pm
Location: Milano
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by jumborex »

boy ms wrote: [...] my users wait for new forum, I'd like to install phpbb3 [...] How can I tell to users when will be new forum available? [...] I lost a lot of them, they can't wait....
So I'm really nervous... :? :roll:

This appears to me really exaggerated. :P Maybe you have a technical board, but in general users never knew about phpBB3. And clearly they cannot be out there waiting only for this. In my opinion, it's really strange if they go away because you have not a new version of your board!
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)
DocBoum
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:43 am

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by DocBoum »

Shadow Reaper wrote: As it's not an ordinary style, but the new default style, it does need to be tested.

This is true. However, the original schedule was to release ProSilver with the Gold version only - which I find kinda funny. We'd have a similar situation then - dozends of ProSilver bugs in the tracker, only that everybody else would have had their phpBB3 Gold versions ready. This dumb, stupid hard drive crash... :? ;)

(Yeah, I know. But I don't plan to go live with the ProSilver theme, I will use a subSilver modification which I have created based on the B5 sources already, and which I will diff&patch into the next versions... :mrgreen:)
User avatar
Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Kevin Clark »

DocBoum wrote:
Shadow Reaper wrote: As it's not an ordinary style, but the new default style, it does need to be tested.

This is true. However, the original schedule was to release ProSilver with the Gold version only - which I find kinda funny. We'd have a similar situation then - dozends of ProSilver bugs in the tracker, only that everybody else would have had their phpBB3 Gold versions ready. This dumb, stupid hard drive crash... :? ;)

(Yeah, I know. But I don't plan to go live with the ProSilver theme, I will use a subSilver modification which I have created based on the B5 sources already, and which I will diff&patch into the next versions... :mrgreen:)

So isn't it better to fix it 'now' than release it with the gold version and have to issue a lot of fixes shortly afterwards?
Image
DocBoum
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:43 am

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by DocBoum »

Kevin Clark wrote: So isn't it better to fix it 'now' than release it with the gold version and have to issue a lot of fixes shortly afterwards?

In general, sure. Two problems: Impatience and I don't need the proSilver theme anyway... ;)

And, it's still funny for me: if it wasn't for that hard drive crash, we would have had to live with the fixes after the Gold release (alternatively, we could work on some nice conspiracy theories while we're waiting... :D)
Garrydw
Registered User
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Garrydw »

They should at least change/remove the about us section on phpbb.com. It gives the impression that Olympus is out or is coming out some time soon and we all know that is not the case... right? All this talk about a possible beta 6 and making the "perfect" version of phpbb 3 without any bugs will surely keep this thing from being released anytime soon.
yeah yeah yeah... I know... it will be ready when it's ready.
Shadow Reaper
Registered User
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:04 am

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by Shadow Reaper »

Well if they get all the bugs out now, then release RC1 and find after a week or 2 or so that there are only like 5 new bugs, then who will be complaining then of a quick release? In all honestly, although it won't be removed today, nor tomorrow I won't count out it being released within a week or two.
User avatar
boy ms
Registered User
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:42 am
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by boy ms »

jumborex wrote:
boy ms wrote: [...] my users wait for new forum, I'd like to install phpbb3 [...] How can I tell to users when will be new forum available? [...] I lost a lot of them, they can't wait....
So I'm really nervous... :? :roll:

This appears to me really exaggerated. :P Maybe you have a technical board, but in general users never knew about phpBB3. And clearly they cannot be out there waiting only for this. In my opinion, it's really strange if they go away because you have not a new version of your board!


No no, you didn't understand me....
My users wait for new board (new design, new features - not new forum features, I mean new content features), I can do it at the old board (phpbb2), but it's useless, because when will be Olympus released I will install it.... :roll:
User avatar
jojobarjo32
Registered User
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:38 pm
Location: France

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by jojobarjo32 »

boy ms wrote: No no, you didn't understand me....
My users wait for new board (new design, new features - not new forum features, I mean new content features), I can do it at the old board (phpbb2), but it's useless, because when will be Olympus released I will install it.... :roll:

A convertor will be provided with phpBB 3.0 to upgrade from an existing board using phpBB 2.0 ;) Then it's not useless since you'll be able to keep your current posts :)
User avatar
boy ms
Registered User
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:42 am
Location: Czech Republic
Contact:

Re: Suspecting RC1 very soon!

Post by boy ms »

jojobarjo32 wrote:
boy ms wrote: No no, you didn't understand me....
My users wait for new board (new design, new features - not new forum features, I mean new content features), I can do it at the old board (phpbb2), but it's useless, because when will be Olympus released I will install it.... :roll:

A convertor will be provided with phpBB 3.0 to upgrade from an existing board using phpBB 2.0 ;) Then it's not useless since you'll be able to keep your current posts :)


I want to start with complete new board, so for me it's useless....
Locked