How many phpbb users are programmers?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
theexcogitator

How many phpbb users are programmers?

Post by theexcogitator »

I was just curious as to how many people, in terms of a roughly estimated percent, are programmers. Around 20-10% ? Rethinking: Well, in consideration of all the uninformed(stupid) comments that show up on these boards, maybe more like 3%. Any how, I would like to know what others think.

-And one more thing. Would anyone want me to make a public xref site for phpbb so that editing and learning about its code is a lot easier?

TGI-ECT

Re: How many phpbb users are programmers?

Post by TGI-ECT »

And there it is again -- "uninformed" being equated with "stupid".

I really don't understand the thinking there.

Everybody is uninformed about something, and most are uninformed about most things.

So, I suppose that makes most of us stupid, yes?
Not TGIF. Not TGIM. It's TGI "ECT". And it's pronounced "ekt".

theexcogitator

Post by theexcogitator »

No, I am not saying that the majority of users are stupid. The "uniformed" was a euphemism for what I had intended - "stupid". It was not my intent to say that uniformed is necessarily stupid. There was an article somewhere on considerations you should make before asking programmers questions. It has been replaced with something called "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". I am saying that on occasion I see 'bad' questions on here - ones that basically say, "I am too lazy to do a little bit of research to either find an answer or figure out what my question is, so, since I value your time less, I want you to figure out what my question is and answer it".
In general though, the questions aren't bad, they just don't lead me to think that there are a whole lot of programmers on the boards. So, in curiosity, I am asking how many programmers are there. And further, I have not found an xref version of phpbb, and although I have one on my home server, I think there would be more contributions to the phpbb project if there were a public xref - and so I was wondering if anyone wanted that.
Last edited by theexcogitator on Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

d4rkst4r123

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

i am

the_dan

Post by the_dan »

I can program in PHP, Java, and C# (to a lesser extent), and am doing a degree in Computer Science. There's also a difference in being able to whack out the odd PHP script, and actually being able to program to a decent standard where you write efficient and coherent code.

TGI-ECT

Post by TGI-ECT »

That sounds fair enough, theexcogitator.

By the way, where's that "Smart Way to Ask Questions"? Sometimes knowing how to ask a question isn't so easy.

I suspect that's a text I'll need to be studying a lot.

EDIT: Scratch that question. Found it: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Not TGIF. Not TGIM. It's TGI "ECT". And it's pronounced "ekt".

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

same as the_dan, with the little addition of 'small' knowledge of basic.. I understand Lingo ( for Director ) and Actionscript as well.

ASP/JSP are a given..

Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

hmm i know some Java and PHP 8)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Software Engineer, and anything PHP, HTML, JavaScript, ActionScript, or CSS related.

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

well i can code PHP, HTML, JavaScript, ActionScript and Ingo thats all i can do at this time but i do not know why this was posted in [Olympus] Discussion it would of been posted in like chit chat.