Is phpbb3 expected to be faster, slower, or about the same a

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
itunes66

Re: Is phpbb3 expected to be faster, slower, or about the same a

Post by itunes66 »

I'm with you on that too, it is alot better (in many other aspects aswell)
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Faster for bigger boards, esp. 250k+ posts!

XyonN

Post by XyonN »

greggish wrote:
paulus wrote: Faster ;)

Thanks for the info.

Info? What freak'n info is this :lol: ? That's no 'info', that's the shortest answer known to man (1 word).
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=) your signature to help him gain world
(")_(") domination!

Supra Dave

Post by Supra Dave »

Faster, especially when your mysql database supports full text searching.

Every time you post or edit a message the wordlist search table is updated in the old situation which is not a very big problem when you just start a board. However the process is getting slower with the amount of posts your board is going to contain.

But thats not the only improvement.. I've seen that the posts_text and posts table aren't separated anymore and the overall performance for requesting a "viewtopic" is improved. (Not sure if thats has anything to do with the merge but I guess it isn't done without reason).

I did some other perfomance tweaks on phpBB2 with help from Lanzer (see topic on the phpBB2 board) and don't have any performance issues anymore, so I don't necessarily need phpBB3 but I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Other improvements are made with the handling of bbcode and that sort of stuff (bitfields) , all together it will be a nice upgrade 8)