phpBB 2 SEO Mod

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Bob H

phpBB 2 SEO Mod

Post by Bob H »

phpBB 2.0.21 has an SEO MOD that allows the forum to create links that remove url parameters and essetially make the url look like it has a directory structure. Is there any activity going on that allows phpBB 3 to have such a feature?

Lastof

Re: phpBB 2 SEO Mod

Post by Lastof »

Ok, seriously. One post below yours when I read this, which means that it was at the top of the forum when you posted, is a topic about googlebot and indexing. You really should look around and maybe search before asking questions.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Lastof wrote: Ok, seriously. One post below yours when I read this, which means that it was at the top of the forum when you posted, is a topic about googlebot and indexing. You really should look around and maybe search before asking questions.

Lastof,

Read what?! I did look around. Is this some game? If you know the answer, why not type it? Or, do you want me to grovel a while before you grant me the benefit of your precious knowledge?

Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Lastof wrote: Ok, seriously. One post below yours when I read this, which means that it was at the top of the forum when you posted, is a topic about googlebot and indexing. You really should look around and maybe search before asking questions.

BTW, the topic about googlebot and indexing do not relate to the SEO Mod, by the way. You should really understand what you are talking about when you insult somebody. But why provide useful info, when you have a perfectly good opportunity to level an insult at someone.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

In that topic the way phpBB 3.0 optimises the forum to be looked at by google is discussed. (ie. Search Engine Optimisation). By reading it you should be able to see that phpBB 3.0 does not assign sids, which is the main bit of the url that messes up indexing, to the spiders it has defined.

What I was trying to illustrate was that this functionality is not needed (as an SEO technique that is), and hopefully from that you would have worked out that such functionality is not part of phpBB3.

I admit that I was slightly harsh, but, I'm feeling grumpy today. Not your fault though, so I apologise.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Bob H

Post by Bob H »

Lastof wrote: In that topic the way phpBB 3.0 optimises the forum to be looked at by google is discussed. (ie. Search Engine Optimisation). By reading it you should be able to see that phpBB 3.0 does not assign sids, which is the main bit of the url that messes up indexing, to the spiders it has defined.

What I was trying to illustrate was that this functionality is not needed (as an SEO technique that is), and hopefully from that you would have worked out that such functionality is not part of phpBB3.

I admit that I was slightly harsh, but, I'm feeling grumpy today. Not your fault though, so I apologise.

SIDs is part of the SEO MOD in phpBB 2.0. Thread ids and forum ids are removed from the url and replaced with what appears to the user as a directory structure. The mod is at: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 79#1639479. It is awesome, and plus, IT WORKS!

While I do listen to non-Google personnel when they talk about what is and what is not needed to achieve positioning in Google, I place more credibility in what Google says. When some person with a psuedonym that cloaks his identity speaks in authorative way about Google requirements, with all due respect, I don't really place a lot of credibility in that. Google has repeatedly documented that url variables damage indexing and ranking. If you don't have to use these url variables, why use them? But that is not the point.

All I wanted to know is if the techniques employed by this SEO MOD have been rolled into phpBB 3.

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

No.

JAiAk

Post by JAiAk »

Hello

I use the able2know Seo Mod in my phpbb 2.0.22

The urls are /forum/about45.html instead /forum/viewtopic.php?t=45

Will be work this URLS in phpbb 3.0 ?

Regards and thanks in advance!
Thanks!

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Bumping old dead topic with things unrelated makes Bertie cry.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way