When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
yexusbeliever

Re: When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Post by yexusbeliever »

PaulW wrote: As for not using Beta's in live environments... I'm running the forum on my own server atm as a testing ground, in a live state... If something breaks, I fix it, as I've got an hourly backup system in place via cron so least I can always revert back and wont loose too much...

GOOD! We need daring people like you! phpBB3 can not go live if there is no one to test it live!
hmm....

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

yexusbeliever wrote: GOOD! We need daring people like you! phpBB3 can not go live if there is no one to test it live!

Please don't go shouting around that running a beta in a live environment is a good thing. Think of all the newbies that think, "ooh, I'm daring too, I'm gonna help as well!"

There's already several boards running Olympus live, so it's already getting live coverage. It will get another increase in coverage with the RC, because there will be support and an upgrade path then and more people will start running it live. That means that after the RC stage, it will have had plenty of live coverage to go gold (that's the whole point of the RC stage).

From the project's perspective, there is absolutely no reason to start running an Olympus board live at this time (and when you start advertising it is a good idea, there will inevitably be people that overestimate themselves and start asking for support). What people do is up to themselves, of course, just don't encourage them. I hope that PaulW understands all the implications of starting a live board now. Fixing small problems is one thing, what about upgrading to the next release? There are still no guarantees that there will be a converter for beta 5 to RC1. If there isn't, and you don't know how to figure out what changes to make, you'll be stuck with a pre-release board.

cammie895

Post by cammie895 »

I'll be switching to phpBB3 as soon as RC1 is released. Hopefully I can figure out how to transfer my users & posts if possible. I have several mods on my current board and some that I could have done without. It has gotten a bit cluttered for my taste and there are a few small errors that I can't seem to fix so I prefer to do a clean install and go from there as opposed to upgrading from phpBB2.

My girls will probably miss some of the styles they have been using (I think I have about 15-20 installed for them to choose from) but I think the new features will make up for it. I installed phpBB3 beta 5 just to play around with and gave a few of them the link and they seemed to like it a lot.

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

Well, I haven't posted here yet ... so I'll do so.

We're already running a beta-5 test forum that the moderators/other admins are using to test out the new features, figure out the warning system, figure out permissions, modify a few template things, etc. We're anxiously awaiting RC1 so that we can upgrade the entire forums.

When RC1 is released we'll probably back everything up, lock down the forums, and have a go at converting. If all goes well, we'll run the forum on phpBB3 from RC1. If not, we'll wait it out for a while. We haven't had any major problems with B5 other than a images converting, but that has to do with how we created the dummy forum so we're hoping those will be resolved when we convert the real forum.

Right now we're anxiously (though patiently) awaiting RC1 and crossing our fingers that B6 is never mentioned again ( ;) )

myhremannen

Post by myhremannen »

We've also set up a test forum for the mods/admins to test, and will be upgrading as soon as RC1 comes out :)

Aled

Post by Aled »

The Staff at Brickfilms.com don't want to upgrade until something good comes out of phpBB3 (wtf?). I already have phpBB to play around with so yeah.

-Aled

tonyf12

Post by tonyf12 »

I have several forums (some running phpbb plain 2.0.22, some running Phpbbxs2/Icy Phoenix(premodded packages)).
The important ones tend to use premodded packages because I mess up when installing mods but the less important ones I try install the mods myself. I upgraded XS boards to Icy at RC1 and will probably go 2 to 3 at RC1 aswell.

Stallyon

Post by Stallyon »

My live board will continue to run phpBB 2.x until 3.x goes gold, or perhaps the last RC. I won't run it live yet, simply because my forum is medium size (about 20,000 members) and I really won't risk it until I know for sure that it will convert properly. It's not heavily mod'ed, but it does have a fairly intricate custom skin that I helped designed with the site's co-owner.

I do, however, have a dev board that I have been using to test different skins and get users and moderators used to the new features. They accept that sometimes the whole board could be wiped and their posts and accounts deleted. Before the last complete re-install of the board, we had about 3,000 people on the board playing with it. I think this dev install is still only at a little over 1,800 members.

BillyBobBongo

Post by BillyBobBongo »

Kevin Clark wrote: A mates chat forum will upgrade on RC1. They won't mind about the final look or the odd little bug.

Indeed...we're very laid back...and since the entire forum is mindless banter...who cares if it gets lost! :D

As soon as they release RC1...I'll be using it!

CrownVictoriaCop

Post by CrownVictoriaCop »

I've already upgraded my site to a CVS version from last week, and I'll upgrade to RC1 about two days after it comes out.
Visit my website today: Running phpBB3 CVS. Also has a downloads center AND an arcade!

http://ctf.110mb.com