When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Post by Kevin Clark »

Highway of Life wrote:
Starcraftmazter wrote: The second cashmod gets ported.
What second Cash MOD?
Is it not Xore’s CashMOD? :?:

He means he'll upgrade the very second the cashmod comes out.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

OH! :lol: haha... gotcha.
Well, that won't be long... Handyman already created it.

JLA

Post by JLA »

Most likely will not be upgrading.

Almost at 7 million posts and 250,000 pics and tons of changes that who knows how long it would take to convert them all over.

It doesn't seem as there are enough new wonderful things to take the time to make the switch and throw away everything we have done up to this point.

We probably will take some bit and pieces as we make our future changes and improvements.

matthewf

Post by matthewf »

JLA wrote: Most likely will not be upgrading.

Almost at 7 million posts and 250,000 pics and tons of changes that who knows how long it would take to convert them all over.

It doesn't seem as there are enough new wonderful things to take the time to make the switch and throw away everything we have done up to this point.

We probably will take some bit and pieces as we make our future changes and improvements.

there is nobody forcing you to upgrade, as phpbb2 will still be supported for sometime to come, it also depends of your board is heavy modded, and with what mods, I think one of the key differences between 2 and 3 is the permission system, and the fact you can control so many aspects, but of course its always your choice

JLA

Post by JLA »

matthewf wrote:
JLA wrote: Most likely will not be upgrading.

there is nobody forcing you to upgrade, as phpbb2 will still be supported for sometime to come, it also depends of your board is heavy modded, and with what mods, I think one of the key differences between 2 and 3 is the permission system, and the fact you can control so many aspects, but of course its always your choice

Oh, I completely agree, no one is forcing anything. I think that with "some" (not us of course) there is always the urge to go with the newest best thing.

Its good that PHPBB2 will continue to be supported. Most likely by the time it is no longer supported, we will have rewritten much of the site anyway.

Thanks

Starcraftmazter

Post by Starcraftmazter »

Highway of Life wrote:
Starcraftmazter wrote: The second cashmod gets ported.
What second Cash MOD?
Is it not Xore’s CashMOD? :?:

No, I said the second cashmod gets ported, second being a unit of time measurement.

PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Just did earlier today...

(would post link, but alas I dont wana get done for spammage)

Not the biggest of the boards in the world, 46494 posts, 5972 topics, 2065 members...

Although in all respect, it has gone through some 'changes' of past...

Started life as phpbb2, smartor album, simple... (circa 2004)
\/
updated album to FAP, and did quite a few heavy mods to it. Also upgraded to CH2.1.4
\/
Then moved over to SMF (eeeeek)
\/
BACK to phpbb, ch, FAP...
\/
now gone to Olympus...

So now I'm looking at how to integrate the user accounts to a wiki system, or atleast 'share' them, so to register on the wiki you need to register via the forums, then find an album system I can 'export' the current album set from, and use instead as a standalone system perhaps, but integrated into olympus...

Again I know its in Beta, but there is no harm doing it!

As for not using Beta's in live environments... I'm running the forum on my own server atm as a testing ground, in a live state... If something breaks, I fix it, as I've got an hourly backup system in place via cron so least I can always revert back and wont loose too much...

patpatten

Post by patpatten »

2 seconds after downloading RC1 :lol:
Star Trek Guide Forums Moderation Team http://www.startrekguide.com/
phpBB3 MODs and Styles Development - Olympus MOD Database - phpBB programming Academy

PHPtest

Post by PHPtest »

Maybe after there's some MODS for v3

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

PHPtest wrote: Maybe after there's some MODS for v3
AFAIK, they are not going to open up the Official MOD Database until Gold release.