When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dackofdoom

When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Post by dackofdoom »

I know this has been done before, but I thought since we seem to be drawing closer to a finish, it would be nice to start up a new thread. Just post any thoughts on upgrading your board...

Here are some options:
1. AGHHH OMG PHPBB <3 CAN'T WAIT - ILL JUST INSTALL BETA4 AND THEN MAKE PEOPLE MAKE AN UPGRADE TO GOLD SCRIPT FOR ME!!!!
2. I'll do it the night RC1 comes out
3. I'll wait for a little bit after RC1
4. I'll do it at the next RC (if there is one)
5. I'm waiting for GOLD!
6. Never upgrading

I personally am way to excited too wait until themes or even the Gold release, I'll be upgrading as soon as RC1 comes out (for both of my two boards) -- it'll be a fun project for the day :D

Grok

Re: When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Post by Grok »

I have already upgraded two of my smaller sites. I will wait for an 2.x - 3.x upgrade script for my main site as it is too time consuming to keep upgrading such a large database on a busy site..

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

I would say option 3 or 2, maby something in between. As soon as there is a supported 2.x -> 3.x upgrade script I will set up a copy of my live enviroment to make sure everything works and is setup as I whis it to be. If im satisfied with the outcome I will upgrade my main board a.s.ap. I would proborly make it the days after release if a beta of the upgrade script is provided before RC1 (unlikely tough).

PaulW

Post by PaulW »

already have...

I used an otherwise 'non-existant' and 'un-supported' upgrade script...

Went from Invision -> phpbb2.x -> Olympus Beta 2, and now running Beta 4

It is in a live environment, but it doesnt matter, its just a forum for people on my university course to mince about on and just chat utter crap!

Also, it gives me good way of testing and getting used to the newness of it in leu of updating my main forum with near 2200 members... I'll wait till a supported RC or Gold for that though...

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

I've got different forums that I'll do different things on.

A mates chat forum will upgrade on RC1. They won't mind about the final look or the odd little bug.
A big main forum I won't upgrade until the gold has been out for at least a couple of weeks, maybe a little more to allow me time to check the upgrade script on a backup of the database and work out exactly how I'm going to use the new features.
I've got a small forum that will probably stay on phpbb2 as the style on it fits nicely to what it is and until such time as a similar one comes out for v3 it might as well stay on v2.
Got another that could go v2 or v3. I'll let the users decide.
And a couple of others that will probably go gold quite early as they're only small.

drf

Post by drf »

Depends on how RC will be
Looking at the actual phpBB version I would be actually confident to use the first RC in a live environment, but since i'll need some modification to the code for my site, I'd wait for gold.
Anon wrote: the phpBB team takes no responsibility for any damage, emotional, physical, spiritual or otherwise

Mr. Anderson

Post by Mr. Anderson »

On RC, I think...

profpete

Post by profpete »

Already running production on one charity members' site, started with a CVS checkout between b3 and b4, and used a 3rd party 2.x to 3.x converter (but had to modify it slightly to take account of later CVS changes).

Followed the CVS to b4, not decided yet whether to stay with the CVS or just wait for b5 before upgrading again...

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

My website is heavily modded. So I will wait until some of the mods of what I used are converted over to phpBB3 first before I get on the boat with phpBB3.
hmm....

Mike.XIII

Post by Mike.XIII »

Numero 2 :)
Can't WAIT