When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Acyd Burn

Re: When Will YOU Upgrade to phpBB3?

Post by Acyd Burn »

greggish wrote: I don't think having another beta before the RC is a bad thing considering the number of bugs in this beta.

Heh, the number of bugs is expectionally low compared to the previous betas. If the real bugs fixed reaches 500+ then we can think about changing plans. At the moment there is no reason to believe in a beta6 release or to not believe on an RC release.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Acyd Burn wrote: Heh, the number of bugs is expectionally low compared to the previous betas. If the real bugs fixed reaches 500+ then we can think about changing plans. At the moment there is no reason to believe in a beta6 release or to not believe on an RC release.
there is an alternative way to view this.
in a way, by not quickly submitting bug-fixes, the devs, effectively, stem the flow of bug-reports.
for us, testers, the "reward" for our effort of discovering and reporting bugs is to see those bugs fixed.
when bug reports are lying a long time with a "not reviewed" status, it's a deterrent from reporting more bugs.

so, acyd, if you want to see the flow of bug-reports into the pool resumed, this pool has to be drained.
(of course, if many of the bugs are closed with a "not a bug" status, this is also not a huge motivator for the tester... )

tiger

Post by tiger »

I went in at Beta 5. I only have about 300 users and 20 posts per day, so I can find a non-supported script, or can do the conversion myself if the inevitable happens.

I had a heavily moded board, and couldn't add any more mods, a few of which I needed and are included with 3.0b5. So I jumped.

The only thing I will be looking for in a mod are CHAT and Email admins on registration. That's it.

TIger

Zottel

Post by Zottel »

for us, testers, the "reward" for our effort of discovering and reporting bugs is to see those bugs fixed.
when bug reports are lying a long time with a "not reviewed" status, it's a deterrent from reporting more bugs.

I think it mostly just looks like that. My impression is, that they just let the state of the bugs as "not reviewed" until they actually start fixing it, even if they already reviewed it.
A lot of bugs are reviewed, their state in the bug tracker just isn't changed.

so, acyd, if you want to see the flow of bug-reports into the pool resumed, this pool has to be drained.
(of course, if many of the bugs are closed with a "not a bug" status, this is also not a huge motivator for the tester... )

What else shall they do if something isn't a bug? :)

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Zottel wrote: What else shall they do if something isn't a bug? :)

"To be reviewed in 2099" ;)

Larmo

Post by Larmo »

On RC1 release date...

madtay

Post by madtay »

code reader wrote:
Acyd Burn wrote: Heh, the number of bugs is expectionally low compared to the previous betas. If the real bugs fixed reaches 500+ then we can think about changing plans. At the moment there is no reason to believe in a beta6 release or to not believe on an RC release.
there is an alternative way to view this.
in a way, by not quickly submitting bug-fixes, the devs, effectively, stem the flow of bug-reports.

Have to agree with that. Things seem to be moving very slowly lately. Gets a bit dis-heartening to look at the bug tracker and see so many outstanding and hardly any being resolved. :(

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

madtay wrote: Have to agree with that. Things seem to be moving very slowly lately. Gets a bit dis-heartening to look at the bug tracker and see so many outstanding and hardly any being resolved. :(

Solution => take a couple of weeks off, find a girl, settle down, and check back later. ;)
Things seem to develop faster when you're not continuosly looking at them.
(Unless, of course, you're the developer. :lol: )

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

I've found that the fixes tend to go in bursts. They tick down one or two for a few days and then suddenly 10 have been sorted. They'll get done eventually :)

Another way to look at it is to say ok I'll upgrade to phpBB3 in november. You probably won't be disappointed then. Your phpBB2 forum works just fine as it is. I know we'd all love the new gizmos etc but there's not much point checking it every day.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

@Meik, I would be more than happy to be wrong. :D
Nicholas the Italian wrote: Solution => take a couple of weeks off, find a girl, settle down, and check back later. ;)
If that happens, the "check back later" might NOT happen. ;)

The Devs really must be working on other projects right now (as in, getting the rest of everything else ready for Gold), because the bug fixes are coming in few and far between at the moment.