iframe bbcode not possible?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
shoes22

iframe bbcode not possible?

Post by shoes22 »

Hi, when testing several custom BBcodes I noticed any <iframe> parameter is not embedded. Anyone know why this is?

Martin Blank

Re: iframe bbcode not possible?

Post by Martin Blank »

Inclusion of iframes opens some very significant security issues. If it's explicitly excluded from being run, I would applaud this.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

You might be doing something wrong.

I just tried this and was sucessful in adding a Iframe bbcode.

shoes22

Post by shoes22 »

Hmm...could I possibly see how you did it? Just as a reference?

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Shoes, we've used it before as well, but I echo what was said before... I STRONGLY recommend NOT using an iframe BBCode, but find another method to achieve your goal... even if it's a MOD, trust me, you don't want to open up the ability for users to exploit a security hole.

user99

Post by user99 »

Highway of Life wrote:Shoes, we've used it before as well, but I echo what was said before... I STRONGLY recommend NOT using an iframe BBCode, but find another method to achieve your goal... even if it's a MOD, trust me, you don't want to open up the ability for users to exploit a security hole.
My Linux Webhosting admin (=Helpdesk lady) confirmed that its safe to use iframe.

Should it be taken seriously :) ?

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

Its security wise a bad idea to add a iframe bbcode.

code reader

Post by code reader »

user99 wrote:My Linux Webhosting admin (=Helpdesk lady) confirmed that its safe to use iframe.

it might be perfectly safe to use iframes (although, for various reasons *other than security*, i think it's a good idea to use it as little as possible, preferably never).

however, that doesn't mean that it's safe to have an iframe bbcode: with iframe bbcode, you let every (potentially malicious) poster to determine what will be the content of the iframe, which is quite different than "using iframe", where you yourself decide what will be the content.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

code reader wrote:
user99 wrote:My Linux Webhosting admin (=Helpdesk lady) confirmed that its safe to use iframe.

it might be perfectly safe to use iframes (although, for various reasons *other than security*, i think it's a good idea to use it as little as possible, preferably never).

however, that doesn't mean that it's safe to have an iframe bbcode: with iframe bbcode, you let every (potentially malicious) poster to determine what will be the content of the iframe, which is quite different than "using iframe", where you yourself decide what will be the content.
Indeed, the helpdesk lady may have thought you means including an iframe on an HTML page - which is fine, because YOU would be choosing which site is in the frame.

Open that option up to everyone though, and you have no control what gets put in there. Not worth the risk.
Customisations Team

guxi

Post by guxi »

Hey man, why do not consider the possibility to let that blamed "iframe bbcode" to be used only for
certain group of members.
I think that a forum must have a core of trusted members.
So, all we have to do is to let ONLY those members to use that iframe bbcode.

A kind of MOD like the one allowing posting URLs afer one million posts, allow using smilies [only 2,31 pe post]
for the ones that have posted 2,2 billion posts without off-topic and so on... :lol: :mrgreen: