need to update my phpbb2...thinking of beta 4 :)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
bangsters

need to update my phpbb2...thinking of beta 4 :)

Post by bangsters »

Guys,

I know it's not the place to ask but I'm in bit of a jam...i need to update my existing phpbb2 forum and I don't want to switch over to vbulletin or invision... the only thing i want to switch to is phpbb3 :) if ever i do that, will i be able to go to RC1 or stable while keeping my members and posts intact?

Thanks

Francis

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: need to update my phpbb2...thinking of beta 4 :)

Post by Kevin Clark »

The upgrade script from v2 to v3 should be available with the RC1 release.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

Acyd Burn wrote: Updating Beta to RC/Final releases

Even if an update path is given with this beta, we begin to fully support them with the first release candidate.
Please be aware that your test installation may need to be replaced/removed if a new beta is announced.

:roll: ;)

bangsters

Post by bangsters »

i thought the beta4 comes with upgrade from v3 to v3b4? or is the upgrade from b1 to b4?

thanks

cutaia

Post by cutaia »

bangsters wrote: i thought the beta4 comes with upgrade from v3 to v3b4?

It does.

And since you're running PHPBB 2.0, that in no way helps you, does it?

They've been pretty rigid about not offering an updater from 2.0 until RC1, so you'r probably going to have to wait until then.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

You guys are all mixed up.

There is an upgrade from BETA 3 to BETA 4.

That is all.

You will not be supported if you use Beta 4 in a live enviourment. If you screw up your site its your own fault. You cannot upgrade from v2. to v3 beta 4 officially yet..

earpit

Post by earpit »

see if you are really eager to upgrade,
then all sorts of upgrade scripts are available at:
[spam]
phpbb2 > phpbb3 beta,
beta1>beta4,
beta2>beta4

and phpbb has it self given beta3 > beta4,
Last edited by -jm- on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spammy *bad* advice removed. No support means no support.

bangsters

Post by bangsters »

hmmm...that site ipretty nice :) it's running v3 beta looks awesome....i think i might go the route of backing up my v2, then upgrade to v3, ifsomething goes wrong i still have v2 to restore....my site is not big, only around 128 members, *SPAM*, i planned on installing mods left and right to get the functionality, but i prefer to use the new stuff v4 has :) site has been stagnant while waiting for v3 and there is no way i'm switching to vbulletin or IPB or any other..... :) i hope this works :)
Last edited by -jm- on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam removed - using a beta in live environment is not a good idea :)

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

The documentaton for phpBB3 Olympus might be misleading in this case:
Documentation wrote: 2.1. Upgrading from 2.0 to 3.0
The upgrade process from 2.0.x to 3.0.x is a straight-forward, simplified process.

The process is in the form of a PHP file, similar to the update file found in phpBB 2.0.x. The file will take you through wizard-like screens until your phpBB is running 3.0.x.

Warning: Be sure to backup both the database and the files before attempting to upgrade.

This is however not yet possible with any phpBB3 beta (unless you use an unofficial script).

jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

No offense but that link was not spam. In fact there are many (more) worthwhile posts on that forum than there is on this forum. Maybe its because every link isn't pruned for "spam". I don't want to start something because I have neither the time, patience or interest in doing so, but IMO the "moderating" is a bit overboard here. They warned the OP that it wasn't safe, but then again phpbb3 isn't safe yet either and here it is running in a live environment. You don't want to offer support here... fine... thats why links are posted to OTHER forums.

All I know is I'm looking for that darned link... anyone care to drop a PM ( I knew I should've bookmarked it )