Sending activation mail not in UTF-8?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Tienchen

Sending activation mail not in UTF-8?

Post by Tienchen »

I would like to know, if it is possible, to change the sending of emails in the current beta4 from UTF-8 to Iso-8859-1, because some exotic mail programms can't read them... :roll:
Thank you!
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

Tienchen

Re: Sending activation mail not in UTF-8?

Post by Tienchen »

To illustrate this, the subject of the incoming mail is displayed in some programms (e.g. Outlook) like this:
:=?UTF-8?B?V2lsbGtvbW1lbiBhdWYg4oCeSS1DYWZmIEZvcnVt4oCcIOKAlCBodHRwOi8vd3d3?= =?UTF-8?B?LmktY2FmZi5kZS9mb3J1bQ==?=

And e.g. the German "für" is displayed like "für". :?:

Thank you!
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

nwbasser

Post by nwbasser »

No offense, I understand your situation since I have the same problem with japanese. But "outlook" is the problem, not phpbb ;)

I started to recommend a real MUA to users, such as thunderbird MUA or gmail for webmail.

carpetbagger

Post by carpetbagger »

nwbasser wrote: "outlook" is the problem, not phpbb ;)

Mmmm...let's hope the devs don't have that attitude. Otherwise the message would be (Don't use phpBB if any of your users are likely to use Outlook)
Using phpBB3 in the UK? - http://www.rpoints.com/phpbb

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Unfortunately, regardless of how buggy a particular bit of software is, as long as enough people use it, you will have to cater for it. Just yesterday I was cursing Internet Explorer for the gazillionth time because I had to create yet another workaround because it wasn't adhering to standards. Do I tell people to use Firefox? I could, but if I kept that up, they just wouldn't come back to my site.

drf

Post by drf »

mmm... imho the best solution would be to be able to choose wheter to send email in UTF-8 or in iso encoding. Supposing that people who need UTF-8 to read their emails would have a UTF-8 compliant mail client, the problem would be solved easily.
I don't know if this option is already present, as my motherboard broke down last week and I have to set up my testing environment
Anon wrote: the phpBB team takes no responsibility for any damage, emotional, physical, spiritual or otherwise

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

Outlook (Office Suite and Express) support Unicode just fine (UTF-7 & UTF-8) since at least the version bundled with Office 97 and IE4.
email-utf8-orly.png
Gosh! UTF-7/UTF-8 options!
(77.52 KiB) Downloaded 493 times
I would hazard a guess the encoding issue of receiving email be caused from PEBCAK and that the encoding of the file got mangled during the uploading process.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way