Menu organisation

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
-=ET=-

Menu organisation

Post by -=ET=- »

Hello :)

This post is just there to make a suggestion.
As all of you, I follow the progress of phpBB 3, I've installed it & tested it.
Of course it's a great step forward and as all of you I'm quite impatient to be able to install in production the final release.
But I also must admit that I find the ACP menu organisation not very clear. Everything is there, sometimes in multiple locations, but (IMO) not always at the right place.

So I would suggest/submit a proposal for another menu organisation.
Of course, this is NOT a request for new features!
No single line of code needs to be added/deleted/modified. The pages (modules) are EXACTLY those of the last beta.
It's just/only a matter of moving a module from one tab to another, a matter of in which menu and in which order I display all my modules. Of course everyone can do it through the "Module management" feature, but I simply suggest (IMO) clearer default settings :-)

So if you (the dev team) find this interesting, I don't know if it should come with the final style or before with an RC as it has nothing to do with style, that's why I suggest this before those 2 upcoming steps.

Last information, some tabs & menu categories has been renamed but the module names are exactly those of the current version (to let easily understand where a module now is).
Of course, to finish the job you should eventually rename some module as well.

Thanks! :-)
Attachments
phpBB_3_menus.zip
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Eternal newbie

Kokuei

Re: Menu organisation

Post by Kokuei »

At first glance you'r proposal seems more structured and logical. But have you taken into consideration related functions during usage? Some functions are closely related to each other, like the creation of a forum and setting up the premissions for the related groups.

But i fully agree that this could be looked at once more by the devs.

-=ET=-

Re: Menu organisation

Post by -=ET=- »

Kokuei wrote: But have you taken into consideration related functions during usage? Some functions are closely related to each other, like the creation of a forum and setting up the premissions for the related groups.

Well, first I do not pretend to hold the truth.
I just pointed out that IMO the default settings can be improved and to be honest I don't expect the dev team to take this proposal as is. If they change anything, they will most probably have another opinion on some choices and set something slightly different.

But to answer your question more precisely, I agree that my proposal is mostly based on a "logical classification" approach, more than on a "many and often access" approach.
This means that for example I removed the "Quick access" category. I really believe admin (except when they first set their forums) don't access so often their ACP and have no need to save 1 click (the tab one), but rather prefer to find easily what they are looking for by a very logical classification.
Moreover, apart from the "Quick access" category (which was a clear category), other duplicates were very disturbing. On the whole sometimes you didn't know if it was exactly the same feature between 2 links (especially in the permissions as most of them have a close design), you didn't know where the right one was, etc.

But anyway, you know the goal is to find the best default settings (as it's impossible to satisfy any particular needs - one more reason to be logical and not chose instead of the users the right shortcuts they need). In any case, users will still have the possibility to use the "Module management" feature and personalize what they want, so... at the end everyone will be happy with this very customizable and modular phpBB 3 version :)
Eternal newbie