custom bbcodes-matured. what's next?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
manoj

Re: custom bbcodes-matured. what's next?

Post by manoj »

I totally agree with EXreaction..
It would make things easier in the long run, and it's pretty easy to do.
This actually wouldn't be a real feature change...

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

I don't understand the decision to eliminate the ability to create 1 tag BBcodes. It eliminates the possibility of things such as [Tab], [hr], and other stuff.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

The fact is that at least "quote" and "*" must be embedded: the first is necessary, the second is particular (though you can get it via something like {*}{/*}, which I don't like very much).

My proposal for phpBB 3.2 (if not 3.0): only the quote tag hardcoded, and it is parsed even if BBCode is disabled. :)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

How does quote need to be hard-codded?

BBCode:
[quote]{text}[/quote]

HTML replacement:
<div class="quotetitle"><b>{L_QUOTE}:</b></div><div class="quotecontent">{TEXT}</div>

The [*] could be hard-codded(it really does not do much, basically saying a new line started), but have an option to allow that for any BBCode.

APTX

Post by APTX »

[quote] has an attribute which, I don't really know what for, can have almost any other bbcode in it.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

EXreaction wrote: How does quote need to be hard-codded?

Because it's needed, and should not be removed nor modified. It's special, since it's automatically added when replying. It's the only tag inherently part of phpBB.

code reader

Post by code reader »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Because it's needed, and should not be removed nor modified. It's special, since it's automatically added when replying. It's the only tag inherently part of phpBB.
i don't believe you have it right.
the actual html that's generated for the {quote} tag, just like the html generated for any other tag, is in the bbcode.html file, which, strictly speaking, is not part of the "core phpbb code", but rather a part of the specific template.
the same thing also existed in phpbb 2.

it is true that phpbb does generate this tag automatically when you press the "quote" button, but that is all. i don't think it is anything special, and i don't see any reason not to have the {quote} and {quote=} tags as part of the "custom bbcode" list.

[url=http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=166645#p166645]APTX[/url] [color=#FF0000] The Great [/color] :lol: :lol: :lol: wrote: {quote} has an attribute which, I don't really know what for, can have almost any other bbcode in it.
{quote} does not have any special attribute.
you can have any bbcode embedded within any other bbcode, with the exception of {code}, which halts bbcode parsing until the first {/code} is reached.
you can have colors and links, and even images inside lists, you can have lists in quotes, you can have underline text inside color text etc.
you can't nest color segments within other color segments, font size within other font size, bold within bold etc., and you can't have anything except the image url inside image tag, but i think these are the only limitations.
(of course, custom bbcodes may have their own limitations)

maybe you meant to point that one can use bbcode in the quote title also.
although this is a little-known fact, it does not make the quote title something special. it just makes it possible to do some interesting things.

APTX

Post by APTX »

... you just don't call it an attribute (It would be more obvious if it would be like this: [quote title="something"]). It is special (and a special case in the parser) because no other tags have such a feature.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!