there are a few tiny things that i think need to be done in order for this system to be complete.
-- first and foremost, i think that most of the existing bbodes should be taken out of the code, and added back as custom-bbcode through the schema_data.sql file.
this can be done for ALMOST all the existing bbcodes, except the [*] (singleton), and font size and color.
i would seriously consider either adding support for a singleton bbcode, or adding a close-tag ([/*] which will translate to </li>) to the list-item.
-- some missing features in the custom bbcodes system are:
- currently, custom bbcode legend (what appears on the button) is exactly the contents of the bbcode itself. this is not right. the custom bbcode table should contain the legend, in addition to the bbcode (some thought about translations is in order)
- it would be nice to be able to define some hierarchy, for instance: list item must be inside a list, table row bbcode must be inside a table bbcode, etc.
- it would be nice to allow selection controls as custom bbcodes, (similar to the way the text-size control works now), for instance, define a text-align control with legal values of <left, center, right>
- it would be mighty nice (and quite easy) to allow for bbcode button images, as to make the interface more similar to what the users are familiar with
- there should be a simple way to "package" some custom bbcodes, and load them to a site in a similar manner to what is done today with smiley packs. this will create a new type of mod. in addition to the existing kinds: "mod", "style", "language pack", and "smiley pack", we should also have a "custom bbcode pak".
i don't think my suggestions should be considered "feature request". (i do think, however, that i should have posted it in the "new feature" forum rather than the "discussion". oh well...)