How To Update From Beta 2 To Beta 3

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
mindar

How To Update From Beta 2 To Beta 3

Post by mindar »

Hey i have a forum that us runing beta 2 how do i update it to beta 3 with out losing all my setting and posts

and i was wondering if some one could help me set up my ranks and promissions and stuff because i just dont get it

JPV

Re: How To Update From Beta 2 To Beta 3

Post by JPV »

mindar wrote: Hey i have a forum that us runing beta 2 how do i update it to beta 3 with out losing all my setting and posts
copy the B3-code to your site, alter all the differences between BETA2 & BETA3 manually. Simple to explain, hard to do. And no, no one will help you doing that, if you are using BETA2, you should be able to change it yourself if you feel the need to.
mindar wrote: and i was wondering if some one could help me set up my ranks and promissions and stuff because i just dont get it

Wait for the manual to come out when it's released

mindar

Post by mindar »

ty man ok i will just wait till its reallease fully

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

There will be no converter ever available to convert from Beta 2 to Beta 3, RC1, or final. There just won't be.

Unless you are confident in modifying your database, your beta2 is a throwaway forum (lose everything), something that you were warned about very sternly in the release notes and on the download page.

It is not recommended to continue running Beta2 due to security patches made etc...
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Just go and look at the schema file and database file and check the differences between beta 2 and beta 3 in the CVS.

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

people now know it can NOT BE DONE some can some one lock this.

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

Ectoman wrote: Just go and look at the schema file and database file and check the differences between beta 2 and beta 3 in the CVS.

So how are you going to handle that the schema collation has been changed?
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Well.

What I usually do is take my old install (say Beta 2 for example). And keep that database up.. Then I delete all Beta 2 files.. and install the new version (say Beta 3). And when I install that I put it to different named database files as the other one had.

In a lot of cases.. you can directly export the data you had, and insert it into the new database tables you have. Sometimes you have to drop a column, or add a column. Its not a terribly difficult process, but it certainly will take loads of time.

I use phpMYadmin, unless it requires some alteration. In that case I will write a simple php file that converts the data to the new database formatting.

I did this on my Beta 2 board. I created 150+ forums and links.. and didn't want to loose those settings.. so I transferred them over (sucessfully). I also did this when I ported my custom userbase over to a pre-beta 3 CVS.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

We won't be providing any upgrade path from Beta 2. If you are using a Beta as a live board, you have to be prepared to update manually, and this is something we can't help you with, as we strongly advise against running any of the Beta's as a live forum.

mindar, your signature is far too big, could you please cut the size down a bit? ;)