hack, mod or bridge??

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
coffeechika

hack, mod or bridge??

Post by coffeechika »

I am really excited to find beta3 has been released, i can't wait for the gold version!
I want to set up a support site built around a forum but with other features such as a q&a section, 'my story' section, advanced rules and guildlines section, links etc.

I cannot decide if i should mod the code using something like MX-BB to build a framework around the code, use a bridge so i can use joomla with the forum or just find someone to code the desired sections i want onto the code..

I know little to no php and have no idea which to choose. either way i will have to ask someone else to do it for me...

what does everyone think?

-jm-

Re: hack, mod or bridge??

Post by -jm- »

coffeechika wrote: I cannot decide if i should mod the code using something like MX-BB to build a framework around the code, use a bridge so i can use joomla with the forum or just find someone to code the desired sections i want onto the code..
All code written for 2.0.x has to be rewritten ... or it won't work.

Furthermore beta3 is a beta, not stable code ;), and then it shouldn't be used on live environment.
Stick with 2.0.x line until at least Olympus Release Candidate come out :)

Please take a look here for advice about 2.0.x related portals ...
I know little to no php and have no idea which to choose.
Another reason to avoid using developement code on live environment ;)

coffeechika

Post by coffeechika »

im not using phpbb3 in a live environment.. im just trying to work out what i should do once phpbb is released.

i want to set up a cms around phpbb so i can use it as more than a forum...

thanks for the reply

feaelin

Post by feaelin »

I'm not familiar with MX-BB, so I can't say on that front, but in terms of integrating with joomla, I imagine it'd work well as a joomla module, depending on how you wanted to handle authentication.

The new "authentication plugin" facility makes it pretty easy to have phpBB authenticate against another application. I've experimented briefly with it in Beta2 (although not with Joomla, sadly) and it worked pretty smoothly in that phase. :)

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I don't recommend Joomla
I just talked to somebody about it... it has a history of being hacked.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

But much safer than Drupal... :!: And everything was hacked. (Even phpBB- and Windows. :P )
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

lol. Which is why I have mac :D
I have my own server, so security is very important to me.
I've had my server hacked once... so I made sure it hasn't happened since
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

The Joomla team is always very quick to respond to security issues. phpBB has a reputation of being insecure. We have a saying in Holland: "high trees catch a lot of wind".

david63

Post by david63 »

Handyman wrote: I don't recommend Joomla
And phpbb has never been hacked?
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

david63 wrote:
Handyman wrote: I don't recommend Joomla
And phpbb has never been hacked?

Lol... Like I said, (nearly) everything was hacked, and phpBB is even quite often been hacked. You could have cameras and self-shooting around your house, and because of that you make it attractive for burglars. BTW: Mac was hacked, too. And don't say "but less than windows." When everybody would use Mac, nobody would hack Windows. :D
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden