Google Bots not Working Correctly?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Google Bots not Working Correctly?

Post by Highway of Life »

I was just checking into this, and noticed that as far as I could tell, google was not indexing SIDs, but it could on your forum if you are not covering all possible google agents.
As for indexing time, it took our phpBB3 site something like 5 months until 6,000 pages were indexed on Google, so it does index it, but give it at least half a year.

Mr. Anderson

Post by Mr. Anderson »

Ectoman wrote: It takes time. You are lucky they have anything indexed.

My board started more than month ago. First indexed page appears in Google on second day. And still we have no changes - only ONE PAGE indexed by GoogleBot. One page which Google can (re)index fine...

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Mr. Anderson wrote:

My board started more than month ago. First indexed page appears in Google on second day. And still we have no changes - only ONE PAGE indexed by GoogleBot. One page which Google can (re)index fine...

You should check that you do not have a robots.txt limiting where the bot can go, also check that the host is not limiting where the bot can go.

Mr. Anderson

Post by Mr. Anderson »

karlsemple wrote: You should check that you do not have a robots.txt limiting where the bot can go, also check that the host is not limiting where the bot can go.

I have no robots.txt at all and other sites which placed on same hosting account "works" fine with GoogleBot.

Any other ideas? Just wait? Try to update to the latest CVS?

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Mr. Anderson wrote:

Perhaps I was not very clear...

For FIVE months, we had ONE page indexed... NOW we have over 6,000!!
One month is not enough time. Just be patient.

Mr. Anderson

Post by Mr. Anderson »

Highway of Life wrote: Perhaps I was not very clear...

For FIVE months, we had ONE page indexed... NOW we have over 6,000!!
One month is not enough time. Just be patient.

OK, just wait for next 4 months... This is not a problem. ;) :) :mrgreen:
But I'm really interested... Why I need to wait so long? All my other sites "works" fine with Google - all (or almost all) pages was indexed after first bot visit (appears in search results after 2 or 3 days).

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

It depends.

This topic is not about Google indexing your site or not however. This is about urls being generated for the bots to search through. I'll be back with more info...

I had to wait atleast 5 months before Google indexed my site fully. (it had spidered my site thousands and thousands of time). Until finally it indexed more pages than I actually had on my site.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Did a little looking and submitted a bug report:

http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/viewreport.php?b=6354