Google Bots not Working Correctly?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ectoman

Google Bots not Working Correctly?

Post by Ectoman »

Just curious.. looks like Google has been spidering this site (a lot), which is good.. but I do not know if it is getting the right urls when it spiders. For example look here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:are ... =&filter=0" target="_blank

SID's are included for many links, and it includes every "post" url with sids. This could cause a problem for SEO with Google. It might see all the links going to the same spot over and over, and the different SIDs each time it goes to the posts that it might show up as a duplicate content problem. (this could potentially cause sites to drop in pagerank, or get them blacklisted from Google).

Anyone know anything else about the SEO of Olympus? Is it working effectively when a bot comes to the site? Could it be a bug not stripping the sid from the "post" urls? Should Olympus re-write the post urls for when a bot is on the page to link to the topic only?
Eelke

Re: Google Bots not Working Correctly?

Post by Eelke »

I was under the impression that the bot functionality should not hand out sids to bots, to avoid just this. My first instinct was, must be indexed some time ago when that wasn't working right, but the topic is fairly recent (October 16 2006), so that can't be it. 8O
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

There is still an error in beta2 regarding this and being fixed in CVS - but area51 is not up-to-date with CVS.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Acyd Burn wrote: There is still an error in beta2 regarding this and being fixed in CVS - but area51 is not up-to-date with CVS.

Thats what I thought.. so I didn't post a bug report.
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I'll try and remember area51 is "only" beta 2.
Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

I'm looking at my two week old CVS, and it lists my stats as having 207 users online this morning. Iktomi bot has been on my site all day but has not been treated as one. I know this is because the newer IPs are not listed.

I added the newer IPs for the Iktomi bot, but it is still not recognizing it. Could the user agent no longer be "Slurp" and be related to it not figuring out its a bot?

Just want to make sure that function is all working correctly, it just needs to be updated like it will be for the Gold or RC release (according to bug tracker).
Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

It looks like it will only convert one bot at a time. I always have several bots from several IPs on my site.. Here is a snapshot of my who is online..

Green = Yahoo.
Red = Google. (not shown fully in graphic)

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

I adjusted a few settings and it works fine.
Felix123

Post by Felix123 »

Hi all, I think this is the right place where I can ask my question. When you are all discussing about the Google boat, then all of you must know that how its work, But I don't know. In different places I read that Google boat works like spider or something like that. But how it helps me to index my site on it’s search engine. I have a website & I am despered to give it a page rank. I have already tried all the SEO related techniques, like link exchange, good key word & nice content. But still my site's PR s 0. Tell me what should I do now?

[spam]
Last edited by camm15h on Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed by camm15h
Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Not spam us?