phpbb beta converters

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Zero Cool

phpbb beta converters

Post by Zero Cool »

First off I'm not requesting anything other than an answer be given. I know the phpbb team has declared that they will not be releasing any converters for the beta testing process.

I am curious however if I might go in and see if I can create one of my own to release to the public. Is there any reason for phpbb to not release the converter other than the time required to code one or are there reasons that reside within the actual testing of the software itself?

- Zero Cool

John Hjorth

Re: phpbb beta converters

Post by John Hjorth »

Zero Cool,

Convertor to convert from what to phpBB 3.0?

Spiros-

Post by Spiros- »

Most probably these ones:
BETA1 > BETA2, BETA2 > BETA3, BETA3 > BETA4/RC1 :|

Zero Cool

Post by Zero Cool »

I was planning on attempting
phpbb2.x > beta1
beta1 > beta2
beta2 > beta3/RC1
beta3/RC1 > RC1/RC2

and so on in that order

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

And the point of that is what?

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Well,

I have noticed the existence of the following files in phpBB 3.0 CVS 2006.10.24 :

install/install_update.php
install/database_update.php

which are not present in Beta 2.

I can only see two alternative purposes of these files, and I wonder which one is actually the case, ref. :

"We may provide update paths for going from the beta releases to the RC and final release, but we may also not provide them."

Zero Cool

Post by Zero Cool »

Kevin Clark wrote: And the point of that is what?

Requesting the permission of the phpBB dev team to develope and release such tools to be applied to their software that in doing so may or may not be in detrement to their current process of beta testing.

From what I understand those whom have decided to use any of the beta software will not be provided a utility in which to updated to any of the RCs or Gold by the phpbb Dev team. To this those whom have gone live with the betas would either have to manually update the database schema or reinstall the software and either start fresh or manually input all the data by hand again.

Wert

Post by Wert »

Zero Cool wrote: To this those whom have gone live with the betas would either have to manually update the database schema or reinstall the software and either start fresh or manually input all the data by hand again.
Well, they were warned that those were the consequences of going live with beta software. If they have to reinstall or manually re-input data due to their not listening to the wishes of the devs, then I honestly feel no particular sympathy for them.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Zero Cool wrote: From what I understand those whom have decided to use any of the beta software will not be provided a utility in which to updated to any of the RCs or Gold by the phpbb Dev team. To this those whom have gone live with the betas would either have to manually update the database schema or reinstall the software and either start fresh or manually input all the data by hand again.

Exactly... which is why a group of developers built their own converters.

I used it and got all my phpBB2 boards upgraded to phpBB3 (Beta... I know, I know), but our members prefer even the buggy version of phpBB3 over the stable version phpBB2.x
And of course, we upgrade the Betas as well.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader

Post by Paul »

John Hjorth wrote: Well,

I have noticed the existence of the following files in phpBB 3.0 CVS 2006.10.24 :

install/install_update.php
install/database_update.php

which are not present in Beta 2.

I can only see two alternative purposes of these files, and I wonder which one is actually the case, ref. :

"We may provide update paths for going from the beta releases to the RC and final release, but we may also not provide them."
They are for updating from 3.0.x to 3.0.y :)