How Many More Schema Changes?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ectoman

How Many More Schema Changes?

Post by Ectoman »

Do you guys feel like the Schema will change between now and Beta 3, and RC1?

Or do you think it is all buttoned up and won't need any changing?

I am configuring the latest CVS to hopefully go live with RC1, but I don't want to spend the hours of configuring only to have to redo a lot of things like setting up permissions and fourms again. I'd prefer if the config and forums and permissions would just 'drop right in'.

code reader

Re: How Many More Schema Changes?

Post by code reader »

Dylan wrote: How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
Ectoman wrote: Yes, 'n' how many more DB schemas change
before you will hear people cry?

A: 42

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Someone likes Bob Dylan too much, and isn't very helpful.

jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

There's a reason that you are discouraged from using it live... and theres a reason its not supported. It will undergo as many as necessary would be my guess. If it was perfect they would never have to change it... thus I would assume that it will change as needed...

Grok

Post by Grok »

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. 8)

Mike.XIII

Post by Mike.XIII »

Well the whole point of renaming it from Beta to RC signifies that it's a more stable version and close to gold. Since we already know there will be a Beta3 I say there are still many changes to come.

d4rkst4r123

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

Bob dylan is gay

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

jimmygoon wrote: There's a reason that you are discouraged from using it live... and theres a reason its not supported. It will undergo as many as necessary would be my guess. If it was perfect they would never have to change it... thus I would assume that it will change as needed...

Who said it was live?

I just got done writing 100 forums and giving permissions to each one with a description.. for use when my site goes live running RC1.

I think they should know at this point what database tables will remain unchanged. Is "phpbb_forums" one of them?

One of the dev's told me they were gonna try to lock the schema for Beta 3. So I'm interested in knowing if there will be anymore major changes.. Beta 2 to Beta 3 had MASSIVE changes.

Graham

Post by Graham »

The simple answer is, no one knows for sure - the changes since Beta 2 have come about because of bugs and general feedback on the previous beta and whilst unlikely it is quite possible that the same may be necessary after Beta 3.
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

code reader

Post by code reader »

Graham wrote: ...the changes since Beta 2 have come about because of bugs and general feedback on the previous beta...
i respectfully disagree.
personally, i think the move to utf-8 was good, wise decision, but there is no way to argue it came about as a result of either bugs or feedback.
the most noticeable change to the schema - breaking the mysql schemas to 40 and 41 and changing the collation, is, iiuc, a direct result of the utf-8 change.

there were a dozen or so other changes to the schema. in postgres, for example, i think about half of them were, indeed, because of bugs and/or feedback.

since schema changes were part of roughly half of the updates to phpbb2 since 2.0.4, (about 7 of the last 16), it is reasonable to expect that schema changes will not end with beta-3, beta-N (whichever will be the last beta), RC-1, RC-N or even gold.
we should expect schema changes to be an option for the useful life of the product.
the difference, of course, is that the team pledged to provide an ungrade script, starting with RC-1.