My fórum uses phpBB 2.0.x and has diverse MODs

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Carløs

My fórum uses phpBB 2.0.x and has diverse MODs

Post by Carløs »

My fórum uses phpBB 2.0.x and has diverse MODs, will be able to migrar without harming me?

They forgive my ignorance regarding the subject, I do not know almost nothing. if somebody will be able to help me…

JPV

Re: My fórum uses phpBB 2.0.x and has diverse MODs

Post by JPV »

Carløs wrote: My fórum uses phpBB 2.0.x and has diverse MODs, will be able to migrar without harming me?

They forgive my ignorance regarding the subject, I do not know almost nothing.

you're from barcelona and your name is Manuel? ;)

you'll probably have to downgrade, make a list of your current mods and check if they do database alterations.

Carløs

Post by Carløs »

JPV wrote:
Carløs wrote: My fórum uses phpBB 2.0.x and has diverse MODs, will be able to migrar without harming me?

They forgive my ignorance regarding the subject, I do not know almost nothing.

you're from barcelona and your name is Manuel? ;)

you'll probably have to downgrade, make a list of your current mods and check if they do database alterations.

Not, I am of Brazil and my name is Carlos. I do not have I eat to still make a listing of the Mods, therefore I did not install the cited ones, therefore I am administrator 3 of fórum. It only wanted to know exactly. Debtor for taking off my doubt.

;)

gabriel andrade

Post by gabriel andrade »

What do you mean? Almost all MODs make changes on the database, for example, the most important one in my case, the Attachment Mod, will I loose all attachments when I migrate? =/

Carlos, I am also from Brazil =]
Add me on msn if you want: xploit@gmail.com

MrTufty

Post by MrTufty »

If I recall an earlier conversation, and things haven't changed in the meantime, the attachment mod is the only one that's going to be supported as a conversion... so those you shouldn't lose, in theory at least :)

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

Birthday was also on the list, as I recall.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Carløs

Post by Carløs »

They forgive me off topic, but they look at my suggestion and they comment. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25477 Would be good, you finds?

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

i love spanish speaking people trying to speak english :p

my favorite part? "To migrar"

:mrgreen:

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

gabriel andrade wrote: What do you mean? Almost all MODs make changes on the database, for example, the most important one in my case, the Attachment Mod, will I loose all attachments when I migrate? =/

It depends whether these changes will interfere with what the migration script will expect to find. The migration script will basically understand a vanilla phpBB 2 database schema, with optionally attachment mod and, as I learned just now, apparently also birthday mod. If a mod messes with the (meaning of) standard database fields, it may mean the conversion script will not be able to understand the database.

This means you should watch out for mods that seriously change default features of phpBB. Mods that introduce subforums have been a prime example, although I've also heard people say that even those should mostly be handled OK by the conversion script (but you would obviously loose the actual tree structure, because it is defined by the mod and the conversion script does not understand it).

As a general rule of thumb, mods that just add features to the forum should generally not interfere with a succesful migration (but I don't know if the data will be transferred at all, and of course the new version of phpBB will not be able to do anything with the data if it does - someone will have to write a mod to do so).

Yes, this is all really quite vague. I personally think MODs should be applied with great care, and only if they address a (for you) big issue. Otherwise, it is not worth the complications they introduce for security updates and not worth the risk of finding out later that, darn, your specific mod does confuse the upgrade script for 3.0 (of course, with more knowledge of PHP, MySQL and phpBB, you should be in a better possition to yourself assess the risks involved with a certain mod - at the same time, with more knowledge you'll be in a better position to solve problems if they do come along).

Carløs

Post by Carløs »

NNO-Stephen wrote: i love spanish speaking people trying to speak english :p

my favorite part? "To migrar"

:mrgreen:

I practically do not know to say the English language therefore I have some errors when writing. But with the time I go to perfect… :mrgreen: