Anything I can do/help when waiting for the RC1?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
mikovchain

Post by mikovchain »

I am coming back to phpBB now.
Olympus is really an amazing one
PHPBB CHINA For Chinese Users

Eelke

Re: Anything I can do/help when waiting for the RC1?

Post by Eelke »

Yes. Grab a beta, or better yet, a recent CVS copy, install, and test, test, test.

el noobe

Post by el noobe »

Eelke wrote:

Yes. Grab a beta, or better yet, a recent CVS copy, install, and test, test, test.
And post everything that seems to be wrong to the BugTracker! ;)
el noobe

d4rkst4r123

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

or the security tracker

Skeetergirl

Post by Skeetergirl »

I think I have found a way to help.... purchase VBulletin (my moderators are getting so sick of hearing me say: Please, just wait... we will get phpBB 3 SOON... I PROMISE!) LOL

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Well, you shouldn't make promises others have to keep for you ;) I personally did almopst the same, though, when three years ago I was saying that I was waiting for the new version of phpBB for certain features. When it started to take longer, I shut up, and even later I decided having a few mods wasn't so bad I always thought ;) You may just want to look into the many mods that are available for phpBB to relieve some of the most pressing issues you have.

Swader

Post by Swader »

When can the RC1 or the Final version be expected.... I am getting tired of waiting... I think.. few weeks ago.. I read somewhere that there are only three bugs left... So why is the delay?

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

Swader wrote: When can the RC1 or the Final version be expected.... I am getting tired of waiting... I think.. few weeks ago.. I read somewhere that there are only three bugs left... So why is the delay?

Beta3 is next.
The final version is ready when it's ready.

Would you rather they released it tomorrow with bugs still in it? Possibly serious ones because they haven't been tested yet?

There's nothing to stop you using a perfectly good phpbb2 install and upgrading when the time comes.

edmnexus

Post by edmnexus »

Kevin Clark wrote:
Swader wrote: When can the RC1 or the Final version be expected.... I am getting tired of waiting... I think.. few weeks ago.. I read somewhere that there are only three bugs left... So why is the delay?

Beta3 is next.
The final version is ready when it's ready.

Would you rather they released it tomorrow with bugs still in it? Possibly serious ones because they haven't been tested yet?

There's nothing to stop you using a perfectly good phpbb2 install and upgrading when the time comes.

That's rather facetious. Many - myself included - are anxiously waiting for v3 because we're switching from other packages (IPB here), and need the feature parity v3 will provide. Switching from IPB 2.1 to PHPBB2 would be a disaster for us.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

So stay with IPB for a little bit longer.

They haven't got a gun to your head over it.

It's not being facetious, it's being practical. If you're planning everything over something that has never and will never have a pre-announced release date then you've gone about it the wrong way.

You don't HAVE to switch to phpbb3. You've got a perfectly good functioning forum. Just stick with it until v3 does come out.