Why does everyone care about Beta 3 so much?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
SHOwned

Re: Why does everyone care about Beta 3 so much?

Post by SHOwned »

Ok, so I googled utf8 and I know what it is now, but how exactly does that benefit us? In what way does it improve phpBB?

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

SHOwned wrote: Ok, so I googled utf8 and I know what it is now, but how exactly does that benefit us? In what way does it improve phpBB?

People can use wierd foriegn characters in their posts.
Admitidly this is a huge problem when it comes to filtering out certian words, and even caused security vunerabilities in some browsers. Based on the fact that a foriegn character can look just like a certian ordinary character.

You can also post strange symbols that would normally have required an image file, thus increasing accessibility as images are not accessible to people with vision impairments.

I prefer ASCII, mainly because I understand it better. And fixed size is easier to deal with than viariable size. If I want the 200th character of ASCII text and the medium I am reading from supports it I can jump striaght to the 200th byte, this is not possible with UTF8 (at least I don't think it is).

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

SHOwned wrote: Ok, so I googled utf8 and I know what it is now, but how exactly does that benefit us? In what way does it improve phpBB?

Foreign language support.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Ectoman wrote: I didn't say RC 1. That I am really anxious to get...

Well, beta 3 is just another step towards RC1, isn't it? That's all there really is to it, I suppose. At least, for me (can't say I loose sleep over it, but I do sneak a peek to http://www.phpbb.com" target="_blank almost every day). It's kind of why software vendors include progress bars in their stuff. Strictly speaking, all you really care about is when that 40GB+ of data has been copied over to your other hard drive, but it is kind of nice to know how it's progressing.

WWay

Post by WWay »

I'm designer: I should make style for phpbb3.
Just say me: it'll be realised this year? :-O