Beta4 or RC1?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ectoman

Re: Beta4 or RC1?

Post by Ectoman »

As I have said before.. it will be easy to go to phpBB v3 from v2 (late boards .21+)..

You will just loose those mods that you may or may have not needed. Or that may have been replaced in phpBB v3.

Its a risk you take when you modifiy a peice of software with unsupported codes.

That is why if I make a major mod for phpBB like a photoalbum.. it doesn't actually mix with phpBB.. its just an add on that can be lost by simply deleting the file. Just look for code like my Site Integration tutorial in my sig.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

asinshesq wrote:
EXreaction wrote: Actually, for all those that say installing a bunch of mods will lead to problems upgrading to phpBB3.

It won't....

I don't know why you say that. I suppose it depends on which mods you're talking about. Example: anyone using my tabulated survey mod will have trouble upgrading to phpbb3 if they want to preserve the surveys they have already done and continue to have the ability to do new surveys. That's just a single example; there are many mods out there that will be tough to port, and if your phpbb2 board uses a mod that is more than just a convenience for the admin (e.g. one of the album mods, the mod that integrates phpbb with a listserv, etc.), you're going to have a big issue to deal with.

I haven't decided which mods of mine (if any) I will port over to phpbb3; I just don't know whether I have the time and energy to port my mods, and I'm sure I'm not the only mod author wondering about that (especially since phpbb3 seems to have a very different code base than phpbb2 so that porting over mods is not a trivial endeavour).

But that is different. Obviously if you want to save something you have on phpBB2 that doesn't get included in phpBB3 you will have trouble. ;)

But as long as the mod does not change important database fields you will be able to upgrade easily, though it probably won't include any extra features you got by installing mods. ;)

Zero Cool

Post by Zero Cool »

ErikZ wrote: I think the people who haven't modded phpBB2 don't really care about phpBB3.

I'm dying for 3, dynamic profile / registration fields alone makes 3 invaluable. On top of that the whole idea of partial administrators and founders. Then you get into separation of Groups / Permissions / Forums. Then the ability to link ranks and permissions to groups...

Simply put the level of custimizablility 3 allows is amazing.

Archer 07

Post by Archer 07 »

yexusbeliever wrote:
digibluez wrote: i am waiting for phpbb3 to be released for ages now, and as they told,that the final release might not be compitable with the db schema from beta, wont even bother setting it up and hack patching it later. well gues my web pages and visitors need to wait 1 year more for this. :evil:

:) You can just use phpbb 2.0.21 for now. Then once when phpBB 3.0 RC1 is release, you can just upgrade it. Just dont put too many mods otherwise it will be hard to upgrade later on.

Drop all non-standard tables and fields.

Upgrade.

Use as many MODs as you want. Just don't expect them to be supported when you go to upgrade.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Archer 07 wrote:
yexusbeliever wrote:
digibluez wrote: i am waiting for phpbb3 to be released for ages now, and as they told,that the final release might not be compitable with the db schema from beta, wont even bother setting it up and hack patching it later. well gues my web pages and visitors need to wait 1 year more for this. :evil:

:) You can just use phpbb 2.0.21 for now. Then once when phpBB 3.0 RC1 is release, you can just upgrade it. Just dont put too many mods otherwise it will be hard to upgrade later on.

Drop all non-standard tables and fields.

Upgrade.

Use as many MODs as you want. Just don't expect them to be supported when you go to upgrade.

You don't even need to drop the unstandard fields in the database. The upgrade script will ignore anything it doesn't need. :)

turblety

Post by turblety »

yeah one of my sites use phpbbfm and I really couldn't care about upgrading it to phpbb3 since it does everything I want :P

Mark

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

turblety wrote: yeah one of my sites use phpbbfm and I really couldn't care about upgrading it to phpbb3 since it does everything I want :P

Mark

If phpBB3 will do everything you want you should upgrade anyways.

The reason is phpBB2 with a bunch of hacks and mods can become unstable and some mods could conflict with each other...plus you have to worry about how out of date all of those mods are, etc. ;)

harmlessgoat22

Post by harmlessgoat22 »

You should upgrade to phpBB3 when it comes out. You won't believe how awesome it is. The ACP is sweet, with all the modules and stuff, that you can edit...
You may think you have everything you need with phpBB2, but that just shows you haven't tested any of phpBB3 betas. They had some features I hadn't even thought of, but decided could become very useful, especially if you modded them to get one last amazing feature out of what phpBB3 already had.
alphaPORTAL
phpBB3 Integration MOD:
Create Pages in phpBB3
Portal
Many Modules including Login, Welcome, Search, Top Posters, Online Now, Menu, Offsite Links, and more

kieroth_whiteleaf

Post by kieroth_whiteleaf »

IF you have the most recent phpBB2 and it's working perfectly the way you want it to (especially if mods are involved) there's no good reason to upgrade. If there's some functionality you feel like you need and you want the newer acp/ucp/etc then go ahead and upgrade. ASIDE from the UCP and perhaps the styles stuff, there's not much your users (who are the reason you make these things) are going to truly notice.

My users haven't really noticed ANY of the upgrades I've done to our phpBB over the years, except perhaps the categories mod. I still intend to upgrade, mostly because I like the stuff in the new ACP, but I don't feel any pressing need to *have* to upgrade.

3 is cool, but 2 is just fine.

chaosweapon

Post by chaosweapon »

I've just got 1 mod installed. phpBB3 looks cool. I don't know if i should upgrade to phpbb3RC1 or wait for the stable release. I just hope it won't have many bugs. Personally, I guess phpbbs next ver is RC1. Hope that's true.