Why not PHP 5?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Spiros-

Re: Why not PHP 5?

Post by Spiros- »

The reason is simple; most hosts do not run PHP5 on their web servers. Coding with PHP5 could result in something more powerful and compact, but you could not use it with the majority of hosting companies.

Just a note, if your host runs PHP5 there will be no problems for you, you can also run applications developed in previous PHP versions. The trouble is vice-versa, when you try to run PHP5 powered scripts on a server with a lower version installed.

:)
itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

what would be cool was if phpBB had seperate version types like a php4 and 5 and then just a php 5 version etc... then phpbb could take advantage of some things in the php 5 package
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one
phoenix-cms

Post by phoenix-cms »

there is one thing i do love about php5 its security like public, protected and private vars
and the way you can write classes is so much better coding wise.

and also i do see alot of hosts going php5 soon if anyone tried the beta of cpanel it will make you update to php5 and apache 2

i use this for there multithread support and developing reasons.

so i do expect phpbb in the near future will use this as well like phpbb 2.2 or 2.4

thats my 2 cents

Steve ;)
working on a cms to be intergrated with phpbb 3 without any major code changing to keep with phpbb 3 guidelines
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

itunes66 wrote: what would be cool was if phpBB had seperate version types like a php4 and 5 and then just a php 5 version etc... then phpbb could take advantage of some things in the php 5 package

It does, in a way, but all in one version. phpBB 3 does use some PHP5 specific functions, which are emulated on earlier versions (i.e. the team have written replacement functions, which do the same job, but which will obviously not work as efficiently as a "native" function).
yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Maybe we can wait in the future for phpBB to get to php6 or something. :)
hmm....
Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

I have the problem with php5 some of my applications won't run perfectly with it so I still use php 4. I wish scripts would be fully compatible with php5 because then I would upgrade. Maybe I'll do that when phpbb 3 gets released.
May /dev/null be with you!
Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

Obi_Wan wrote: I have the problem with php5 some of my applications won't run perfectly with it so I still use php 4. I wish scripts would be fully compatible with php5 because then I would upgrade. Maybe I'll do that when phpbb 3 gets released.

Why not just rewrite them? I'd rather update and stay current than lag behind with older versions.

Post by 3247 »

Dog Cow wrote: Why not just rewrite them? I'd rather update and stay current than lag behind with older versions.
"Rewrite" often means "introduce new, unnecessary bugs".

BTW, Debian stable (Sarge) still ships with libapache2-mod-php4 and libapache-mod-php4, no libapache2-mod-php5 and no libapache-mod-php5.
Obi_Wan

Post by Obi_Wan »

I could rewrite my stuff but I don't want to do the work of rewriting the software of other users on my box.
May /dev/null be with you!
Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

Obi_Wan wrote: I have the problem with php5 some of my applications won't run perfectly with it so I still use php 4. I wish scripts would be fully compatible with php5 because then I would upgrade. .

Maybe thats because you wrote your scripts badly?
Most scripts should work OK. I switched my PHP4 app onto PHP5 and worked fine, unfortunatly I have added some things from PHP5 so now I can never go back.

Anyone know when Zend is going to EOL PHP4? they can't keep supporting it for ever can they?

Oh and one common reason for PHP4 scripts breaking, because some IDIOTS keep using register_globals, which will work in PHP5 if you change php.ini or override with .htaccess (do NOT use ini_set this will not work), until PHP6 of course when it will final die!