Why not PHP 5?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Greenz

Why not PHP 5?

Post by Greenz »

Why is'nt phpBB 3 for PHP 5? || Why don't we create a PHP 5 version for phpBB3?
PHP 4 is too old, too bad for OOP and doesnt has some features. Everyone knows that, with PHP 5, we can do manything that we cant on PHP 4.
I think PHP 5 and a design pattern like MVC is good for a modern Web App.

Just my 2 cents! :D
PHP
Acyd Burn

Re: Why not PHP 5?

Post by Acyd Burn »

But phpBB is not a "modern application" in the terms you might understand it. It is an application possible to be used by the majority of people - and this majority is still using php4.

SHOwned

Post by SHOwned »

Huh? I thought it supported php5. I am running a live board on beta 2 with php5 without any problems at all.
APTX

Post by APTX »

What Acyd said does not implicate that phpBB will not work with PHP5... it is possible that it will even work with PHP6.
PHP should run faster on PHP5. I'm not talking about the better PHP interpreter but the fact that phpBB implements some PHP5 functions if it's running on PHP4 (str_split() being an example).
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!
Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

APTX wrote: What Acyd said does not implicate that phpBB will not work with PHP5... it is possible that it will even work with PHP6.
PHP should run faster on PHP5. I'm not talking about the better PHP interpreter but the fact that phpBB implements some PHP5 functions if it's running on PHP4 (str_split() being an example).

exactly. :) Users reported it working on php6-dev btw. And if php6 is released, we will make sure it works with it too.

Dog Cow

Post by Dog Cow »

I think it's always going to work. Unless ur on PHP3 or something :razz: The devs for PHP make sure that is it always backwards-compatible
pc-tutorials

Post by pc-tutorials »

Dog Cow wrote: The devs for PHP make sure that is it always backwards-compatible

Of course, but PHP 5 contains a lot of extra funtions
for($i=1;$i>0;$i++){
echo "Bug detected, fix in progress";
}
----------------
Sorry for bad English, I'm not native :)
Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

PHP5 does. but, since more then 75% of all hosts provide PHP4, it wont work. what if they start using PHP5 functions ( lessay OOP implementations ) and someone runs it on PHP4, imagine the result
Mike.XIII

Post by Mike.XIII »

SHOwned wrote: Huh? I thought it supported php5. I am running a live board on beta 2 with php5 without any problems at all.

It does support php5, but it's also compatible with php4. What Greenz wants it to make it not backward-compatible for php4 and up but require php5 and up, this way they can offer more features into Olympus.
brucecw

Post by brucecw »

Dog Cow wrote: I think it's always going to work. Unless ur on PHP3 or something :razz: The devs for PHP make sure that is it always backwards-compatible

Ummm, no they don't. Or at least they haven't in the past - look at the fiasco that happened when PHP 5.0 was released, which broke so many scripts that they had to release a 5.1 that fixed the worst of the incompatibilities.

Hopefully they have learned from the experience however.