Concerned questions

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Archer 07

Concerned questions

Post by Archer 07 »

I have some questions about the phpBB3 development that have been bugging me. I haven't been able to confirm solid answers to these questions anywhere I've looked, so I'm going to bite the bullet and ask.

1. Is there a complete features list anywhere?
My understanding of version naming conventions is that a beta release is a release for external testing purposes. It is, for all intents and purposes, complete, though features may be added or released based on necessity. I've heard from people keeping an eye on the CVS that features are still being added which have nothing to do with anything in the software before their addition, and it seems some features of Olympus are still incomplete.

I haven't been able to find such a list anywhere, and I would assume that the developers, at least, would have a features list that is up-to-date with everything done thusfar.

2. Is Olympus just a premod?
Olympus gives me the impression of a heavily modified phpBB2. Even some of the names for tables and fields in the database are the same as their analoguous MODs for phpBB. In fact, many of the features seem to be phpBB2 MODs. Were they all actually rewritten or just "made to fit" with phpBB3?

Before anyone reacts in a sarcastic or otherwise hostile manner, I'm not attacking the phpBB3 development team. I'm just asking some questions that have been on my mind a lot lately. I can't seem to answer them on my own, so I'm taking my concerns to the people who would know.

Martin Blank

Re: Concerned questions

Post by Martin Blank »

There is no complete features list, but there is an extensive list here:

http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/features.html" target="_blank

Olympus is not a premod. The code is almost entirely rewritten. The database has some similarities due to certain practical design decisions that were made with phpBB 2, but many of the tables and fields would show up anyway even if built from scratch in another project. Code is reused where it makes sense, and scrapped where it does not. Features are newly-coded, with little or no outside code use, aside from a few snippets where it made more sense to use an existing wheel.

A little bit of searching would have found at least the first answer, since I found it at the top of the page. I'm not blasting you, but please look a little more first.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Wert

Post by Wert »

Archer 07 wrote:
I haven't been able to find such a list anywhere, and I would assume that the developers, at least, would have a features list that is up-to-date with everything done thusfar..

I wouldn't assume that at all.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

muhaidib

Post by muhaidib »

the reason you might think that this is a heavy-moded phpbb2 could be that this is using a subsilver style that is just being used during the testing, after phpbb3 goes gold this style will not be used and all the buttons and images will be new phpbb3 styles made by the pro styling team and other stylers such as cyberalien and others

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

muhaidib wrote: the reason you might think that this is a heavy-moded phpbb2 could be that this is using a subsilver style that is just being used during the testing, after phpbb3 goes gold this style will not be used and all the buttons and images will be new phpbb3 styles made by the pro styling team and other stylers such as cyberalien and others

Erm, no, the new style is made by subBlue.