Bug is less,

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Gumfuzi

Re: Bug is less,

Post by Gumfuzi »

10 open Bugs with 6 "new" ;)

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Looks like we're back to 13's.. still have some UTF code that needs to be finished and a few dozen TODO files still.

shoes22

Post by shoes22 »

You think they can do it in a week? ;)

DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

shoes22 wrote: You think they can do it in a week? ;)
Depends on how many new bugs appear till then.

brucecw

Post by brucecw »

Yoda_IRC wrote: I fail to see why it is obvious a CVS version has received no testing, I was under the impression you could run code at CVS checkin, surely this code can check for things like parse error and run unit tests? Don't Mozilla have a system that tests the CVS tree and flags it if anything fails?

I didn't mean to imply that the developer would have done no testing at all before checking in the update, but in any large software project it can be difficult to forsee ALL of the ramifications of every change. The examples you give are at the level of trivial sanity checks: Parse errors should of course never occur in CVS code - that means that the code hasn't even been compiled or run at all (!). Run unit tests are really a fairly minimal level of testing IMHO.

You use the example of the Mozilla project, but almost every day they have regressions caused by checkins of new code - and I don't think it's because the Mozilla developers never test anything.

The point of using a defined release point even for betas is that these regressions have had a chance to get "baked" out of the tree (to use a Mozilla-ism).

brucecw

Post by brucecw »

Prince of area51 wrote: So, for every change a developer does, a Beta can't be released, hence the use of CVS. ... the point being that CVS gives developers like me a chance to know exactly that a change yesterday in a file affected in what way, and in case of Beta, I would have to wait till their would have been a number of changes to release a beta and then test it out, I do hope I was able to clarify my point :).

I'm quite familiar with CVS, thank you very much - I've used it quite a bit in developing software.

I don't think we are disagreeing very much. My point is not that CVS isn't useful, especially for developers or knowledgeable testers. However in general picking up a CVS snapshot gives you little confidence that the developers expect the snapshot to be even approximately useful - if there have been major regressions or partially-implemented features it may well not work at all. This will be especially true during early parts of the development cycle but it can happen even fairly late in the cycle. With a beta, there is usually an attempt to remove the most glaring problems or else the beta is fairly useless because it won't get much (or even any) testing.

My other point was that most non-developers don't know much about CVS or software development in general and would be rather unlikely to be able to pick a CVS snapshot that had a reasonable liklihood of being stable, unless the developers "bless" one particular snapshot for that purpose. However this sounds suspiciously like a Beta version (!!) You can of course say that you don't have any business downloading the software if you don't know about CVS - but then you are cutting off most of your potential beta testers. That can make sense if the software is something like a compiler, which is only ever used by programmers anyway; it makes less sense for a general-purpose system like phpBB.

DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

Bug is more :(

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Area51 is CVS.

Beta is near.

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

well theres a lot of New [Not reviewed] and they have been there for some time but i tell you it must be getting soon for beta 3 wow well i hope so :) we all have to hope

textilebbs

Post by textilebbs »

MORE hope AND MORE disappointed
Go on waiting