Bug is less,

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DanoruX

Re: Bug is less,

Post by DanoruX »

Looks like we're back down to 20 bugs today. Maybe... just maybe... beta 3 this weekend?
Freelance

Post by Freelance »

It's always maybe ...

Why setting up high hopes on every upcoming weekend ...

I prefer just to wait, and it won't be this weekend or the next one,
there's still a lot of work to do

I'd say maybe next month, decembre that is
Sh*t Can Happen !!!
[Building a large project based on phpBB3 - Progress 15%]
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]
Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Freelance wrote: Why setting up high hopes on every upcoming weekend ...

I agree.
I prefer just to wait, and it won't be this weekend or the next one,
there's still a lot of work to do

That, I don't know. Who knows, maybe it is next weekend. I just don't see the point to repeat that hope every week.
kloses

Post by kloses »

DanoruX wrote: Looks like we're back down to 20 bugs today. Maybe... just maybe... beta 3 this weekend?

What do you want with a beta3?
Here you have daily a packed beta3 version.
http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs/" target="_blank
( left side )

31st October 2006 22:32 GMT+2
Download [ 1.44 MB]
ae1fcf150ed95274f7ba155451144915
pc-tutorials

Post by pc-tutorials »

Probably it is a nice christmas present :lol:
for($i=1;$i>0;$i++){
echo "Bug detected, fix in progress";
}
----------------
Sorry for bad English, I'm not native :)
Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

kloses wrote: What do you want with a beta3?

My words! :) But some people want to arm-twist the developers of phpBB3. It will get the best forum out there, and for free, but it has to be bug-free. Of course the people who want it to be published tomorrow could donate 1 Mio. Dollar or Euros, then the chance is much higher. :D And what's the difference between a stable CVS (the latest ones are) and a beta3? There isn't much difference, and the CVS directories in the package are deleted within seconds.
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden
Gumfuzi

Post by Gumfuzi »

pc-tutorials wrote: Probably it is a nice christmas present :lol:

maybe the final version is under the christmas tree - who knows?

Just kidding - let's wait until it's finished ;)
brucecw

Post by brucecw »

kloses wrote: What do you want with a beta3?

The main advantages of having a formal beta3 as opposed to the cvs would be

1) A formal beta3 provides a fixed, known snapshot that everyone could use for testing, working on mods, reporting bugs, etc. The cvs is obviously going to be constantly changing, you'd need to specify exactly which time-stamp of the cvs you were testing against. This is probably beyond the expertise of many who might like to try out the beta version.

2) Usually even a beta version has some testing to remove partially fixed bugs or regressions - the cvs does not (obviously)! So all else being equal you can expect a formal beta3 to be more stable than a random cvs snapshot.
Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

brucecw wrote: 1) A formal beta3 provides a fixed, known snapshot that everyone could use for testing, working on mods, reporting bugs, etc. The cvs is obviously going to be constantly changing, you'd need to specify exactly which time-stamp of the cvs you were testing against. This is probably beyond the expertise of many who might like to try out the beta version.

Although it is simpler if everyone uses a fixed version it doesn't have to be difficult to say which version you have.
If you know what file the problem is in you can look for an ID tag, these are applied by CVS keyword expansion. They uniquely identify the precise version of the file you checked out.
If you really want to know what versions people where using why not make a script to parse all the files and compile a list of IDs for each file?

Unfortunately you still get bugs that are fixed imediatly because you may checkout when the CVS is broken because someone is about to upload a new version of a file.

This also doesn't help that with CVS if a developer comits files a.c and b.c at the same time, if you run a checkout at the wrong time you will actually get the new version of one file and the old version of another.
brucecw wrote: 2) Usually even a beta version has some testing to remove partially fixed bugs or regressions - the cvs does not (obviously)!

I fail to see why it is obvious a CVS version has received no testing, I was under the impression you could run code at CVS checkin, surely this code can check for things like parse error and run unit tests? Don't Mozilla have a system that tests the CVS tree and flags it if anything fails? I admit phpBB probably aren't using these systems but its possible so it is not obvious that the CVS is untested. Also most develoipers would test it on there machine before commiting it to CVS. The only problem comes when to developers commit and CVS does a merge, that merge version may not have been tested by the other developers but again automated checks could be performed, though probably aren't and at this stage writing such a testing framework is probably not a good idea.
Prince of area51

Post by Prince of area51 »

brucecw wrote: The main advantages of having a formal beta3 as opposed to the cvs would be

1) A formal beta3 provides a fixed, known snapshot that everyone could use for testing, working on mods, reporting bugs, etc. The cvs is obviously going to be constantly changing, you'd need to specify exactly which time-stamp of the cvs you were testing against. This is probably beyond the expertise of many who might like to try out the beta version.

2) Usually even a beta version has some testing to remove partially fixed bugs or regressions - the cvs does not (obviously)! So all else being equal you can expect a formal beta3 to be more stable than a random cvs snapshot.

There are two very good reasons to use CVS.
Firstly, its something developers use not only to archive changes but to make sure they know who did what!
The Concurrent Versions System (CVS), also known as the Concurrent Versioning System, implements a version control system: it keeps track of all work and all changes in a set of files, typically the implementation of a software project, and allows several (potentially widely separated) developers to collaborate.

Source: Wikipedia

Secondly, Beta release is part of the development cycle, one just can't release Beta version. Releasing Beta isn't that simple, the developers have to be sure that ALL features have been implemented because after this stage its RC (Release Candidate).

So, for every change a developer does, a Beta can't be released, hence the use of CVS. The developers make changes etc, upload them and once they are happy with the everything, they release a beta, moreover a beta can be tested out by general public (if you've been here for some time, you would've noticed that before Beta1, the CVS copy of phpBB 3 used to carry a die() statement in common.php so people would actually have to go and comment it to test phpBB 3 out), the point being that CVS gives developers like me a chance to know exactly that a change yesterday in a file affected in what way, and in case of Beta, I would have to wait till their would have been a number of changes to release a beta and then test it out, I do hope I was able to clarify my point :).