Bug is less,

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Post Reply
textilebbs
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:08 am

Re: Bug is less,

Post by textilebbs »

beta2 is finished ,but the Developers need a lot of time to write new codes and the more New features will be added, aren't they.
So,just wait!!

Martin Blank
Registered User
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun May 11, 2003 11:17 am

Re: Bug is less,

Post by Martin Blank »

Only UTF8 is apparently still lacking, textile. I imagine that once they complete that, we'll see Beta 3 in short order.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Sonrep
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:38 am

Bug is more

Post by Sonrep »

18 unreviewed bugs which is far more than the 10 unreviewed bugs a few hours ago. It is also more than the old 17 bugsmilestones.

So.. bug is more ;)

Question 1: How common is it that bugfixes leads to more bugs?

Question 2: How many open bugs can exist before a new beta comes out? 5? or is it rather a question of other factors such as the UTF-8 implementation?

Ectoman
Registered User
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 3:53 pm
Location: Denver CO
Contact:

Re: Bug is more

Post by Ectoman »

Sonrep wrote: Question 2: How many open bugs can exist before a new beta comes out? 5? or is it rather a question of other factors such as the UTF-8 implementation?


Infinite Bugs can be out there.

It more depends on the UTF-8 components needing to be finished, as well as other goals and parts that the team wants to be complete before sending out the next beta.

User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: Bug is more

Post by Highway of Life »

Sonrep wrote: Question 1: How common is it that bugfixes leads to more bugs?
Not very common, but it does happen on occasion where a bugfix could cause something else in association with that fix to suddenly 'brake'.
Sonrep wrote: Question 2: How many open bugs can exist before a new beta comes out? 5? or is it rather a question of other factors such as the UTF-8 implementation?

There is no 'standard' to this, there could, in-fact be 100 bugs and a New Beta could be released.
There is no real definition because of the possible variables related to testing.
Image

kloses
Registered User
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:26 am

Re: Bug is less,

Post by kloses »

I like the phpBB-Board and I thank the developers for her works.
I am very, very sorry for this posting, but I am frustrated.
I believe that many of you make and think the same.
Each morning the same action. Open the busgtracker.
Oh no - again new error messages. Oh no, it is fixed only one bug.


Higway of life
You can wait and test betaversions, because you already installed the new board since long time.


I wait now already two years and for me it is a never ending story. :?
I do not understand why, for simple errors so much time needed.
I do not understand why, RC1 version was not published yet.
Nobody needs a beta3 and maybe a beta4, RC1, RC2 ...
The first fixed bug in the bugtracker was on "Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:23 pm.

If it is too much work for the developers, then it gives here sufficient programmer, who would help. I do not see progress since June (yes, yes utf8).
The answer of the developers is always the same: it comes if it is finished.

Does someone have still the desire to test more beta versions?
Why is a secret made around the new style?
The user would like to plan his board. In addition they need information and no secrets.

I hope that the RC-version is forthcoming, but as matters now stand, they need more months for the RC-version.

Pardon my jumping in and have a nice day!

User avatar
Eelke
Registered User
Posts: 606
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 8:00 am
Location: Bussum, NL
Contact:

Re: Bug is less,

Post by Eelke »

kloses wrote: Pardon my jumping in and have a nice day!

Thanks... I think your time would have been better spent doing a little research. All of your concerns have been discussed at length on this board. If you say no progress has been made, you simply have not been paying attention. Have a nice day too.

Gumfuzi
Registered User
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:04 pm

Re: Bug is less,

Post by Gumfuzi »

simple solution:
- don't look into the bug tracker every day.
- Do something else meanwhile, if you're not able to wait.
- when it is finished, you can install and have fun!

P.S.: the answeres are out here in this board ;)

User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: Bug is less,

Post by Highway of Life »

kloses wrote: Higway of life
You can wait and test betaversions, because you already installed the new board since long time.
Indeed, but I realize how much work it takes, since I am a Software Engineer myself...
There are two reasons:
  1. phpBB is Open-Source, which means the Developers are not being paid for their work on phpBB.
  2. It takes a LOT of time to develop a program as intensive as phpBB3, so it does not and will not come fast or easy, it takes time, and a lot of it.
kloses wrote: I wait now already two years and for me it is a never ending story. :?
Nobody likes to wait for something as good as phpBB3, but we don't have much choice, and if we want a quality product, we have to wait.
kloses wrote: I do not understand why, for simple errors so much time needed.
They are fixing more than just simple errors... you are only seeing what is in the bug tracker, but that only makes up less than one tenth of what the developers are doing.
kloses wrote: I do not understand why, RC1 version was not published yet.
Because it has not been stable enough, and they have not quite finished implementing everything that needs to be in phpBB 3.0
kloses wrote: Nobody needs a beta3 and maybe a beta4, RC1, RC2 ...
I would not want a bum, half-finished, buggy RC version, so to me, Beta3 is a necessity.
kloses wrote: If it is too much work for the developers, then it gives here sufficient programmer, who would help. I do not see progress since June (yes, yes utf8).
If you download a CVS from June, and a CVS today, you will see a BOAT LOAD of changes, honestly, that's not fair to the community.
kloses wrote: The answer of the developers is always the same: it comes if it is finished.
And this is true because it's open source, and we are not paying the developers. If you want a project that has a definitive deadline, I highly recommend vBulletin.
kloses wrote: Why is a secret made around the new style?
The user would like to plan his board. In addition they need information and no secrets.
I would search through the board to find this answer, it has been asked many times before. :)
There is a reason they are keeping it a secret.

Have a nice day. :)
Image

Ectoman
Registered User
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2001 3:53 pm
Location: Denver CO
Contact:

Re: Bug is less,

Post by Ectoman »

I have been planning my board using the CVS.

I already have 150+ forums set up and a edited style for Olympus.. permissions set, forum images, forum rules all that stuff. Just waiting for a stable RC or a locked schema to go live with it all.

Post Reply