For the phpbb team

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Joablen

For the phpbb team

Post by Joablen »

I'm making a blog system based on some of the phpbb's code and i plan to make it opensource... and i was wondering if i could use phpbb's template class leaving it's copyright and everything... i wanted to use this class because its very well made, easy to work with, separates the code from theme and i really like it... so i just wanted to know if i have phpbb's team permission to use this class, leave it's copyright untouched and link phpbb.com from my site...

sorry if this should go somewhere else... if it does please delete this topic and email me with the reply...
Last edited by Joablen on Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

d4rkst4r123

Re: For the phpbb team

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

i wouldnt think thats a problem.... :|

Drexion

Post by Drexion »

Joablen wrote: I'm making a blog system based on some of the phpbb's code and i plan to make it opensource...
This is not sufficient, your script must also be released under the GPL as well.

You don't need a team member to answer you, you didn't even need to ask ;) (although its usually nice etiquette that you did :p)- the GPL license documentation is available for anyone to read (just google for "GPL").
ie Yes of course you may use the code once you follow the rules of the GPL license, the main one being that your script itself is released under the GPL. Thats the beauty of the GPL license, hell even phpBB contains GPL code originally released in previous GPL applications :)

Joablen

Post by Joablen »

Drexion wrote:
Joablen wrote: I'm making a blog system based on some of the phpbb's code and i plan to make it opensource...
This is not sufficient, your script must also be released under the GPL as well.

You don't need a team member to answer you, you didn't even need to ask ;) (although its usually nice etiquette that you did :p)- the GPL license documentation is available for anyone to read (just google for "GPL").
ie Yes of course you may use the code once you follow the rules of the GPL license, the main one being that your script itself is released under the GPL. Thats the beauty of the GPL license, hell even phpBB contains GPL code originally released in previous GPL applications :)

i know... but its always good asking for permission instead of going through problems l8r...

but now i dont know why when i lunch my script i get "82562" and thats alll it says...

dhn

Post by dhn »

Joablen wrote: i know... but its always good asking for permission instead of going through problems l8r...

I like that attitude. :) But as mentioned above: as long as you keep in between the boundaries of the GPL, you are free (and encouraged) to do anything you want with the code.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

Joablen wrote: but now i dont know why when i lunch my script i get "82562" and thats alll it says...

However, we can't help you if you get errors, simply because you can't expect to use code from phpBB and have it work without any tweaks ;)
Customisations Team

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

I wish the team would work with people willing to do such projects, in the same way with the community projects.. A blog feature might not be *essential* (nothing more than what the 2.0.x line offers is "essential" anyway, we're looking at taking a step further with Olympus anyway), but it would not add any traffic to the server when set off and it would surely make one more great feature for phpbb. It could be there for whoever needs it, or turned off for whoever does not. I hope that you may welcome this opportunity, give the guy the specs you'd like for an official blog system, make any changes if the code turns out to have flaws in your opinion and incorporate it to 3.2. This probably won't happen, but I wish it would.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

there will be no official blog, CMS, chat, anything else system for phpBB.

as the devs have stated a million + times, it's phpBB, as in Bulletin Board. it shall remain this way until the end of time :D

you're free to fork phpBB if you want and include those things though.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

DragonlordP wrote: I wish the team would work with people willing to do such projects, in the same way with the community projects..
HOW long do you want the GOLD release delayed anyways?!?!?

No way they would do that, that's what us MODers are for. ;)

Joablen

Post by Joablen »

battye wrote:
Joablen wrote: but now i dont know why when i lunch my script i get "82562" and thats alll it says...

However, we can't help you if you get errors, simply because you can't expect to use code from phpBB and have it work without any tweaks ;)

i know... just saying... sry if it sounded like i was looking for help...