Consensus on Attachment Extensions..

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Consensus on Attachment Extensions..

Post by Highway of Life »

Yawnster wrote: I believe personally that there should be a number of attachments that are at least limited to responsible users, (PHP, PL, PY etc..), I feel that this would be better for all parties involved..
Yawnster... can you clarify what you speak of here?

What I get is that there should be some kind of permission system in place (probably should be a MOD) to enable Admins the ability to allow responsible users to use sensitive document types. For example, on our development forums, it would be nice to allow the developers group the ability to upload php files.
Now, I know I could add that, but we've discussed the security issues in allowing a .php extension to everyone.
But I suppose it's not an issue if the file only downloads.

Beyond that, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are getting at here.

EXreaction

Re: Consensus on Attachment Extensions..

Post by EXreaction »

If you make the file upload location a place that is inaccessible from the web(not in the public_html(or whatever that would be called by your host) folder) it is safe to allow php files to be uploaded. :)

Or...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25342

:mrgreen: