Consensus on Attachment Extensions..

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
dhn

Re: Consensus on Attachment Extensions..

Post by dhn »

You understand that now you have supplied this list, you also have to supply the fitting upload icons. ;)

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

APTX wrote: I'm just wondering if .wav really is "viable in terms of the Internet".

I had a think about that one, and although its really not viable in terms of long media (songs, speeches etc..) It is used primarily from the Windows Sound Recorder I believe now.. And that will be used for short recordings.. Please correct me if I am wrong though..
dhn wrote: You understand that now you have supplied this list, you also have to supply the fitting upload icons. ;)

Heh heh.. Ill try, but its your fault if my eyes, brain and any other body part bleeds.. :P

Yawnster

APTX

Post by APTX »

Yawnster wrote:
APTX wrote: I'm just wondering if .wav really is "viable in terms of the Internet".

I had a think about that one, and although its really not viable in terms of long media (songs, speeches etc..) It is used primarily from the Windows Sound Recorder I believe now.. And that will be used for short recordings.. Please correct me if I am wrong though...

Yes, you are right the windows sound recorder can only make .wav files. I've checked the sound recorder in Windows Vista and it makes .wma files unless you're using the cheap versions of Vista. My beta is of Ultimate, the "best" version that will be available and it has no option for .wav files.
I do think that it wouldn't be a good idea to allow .wav files, especially the ones made by the sound recorder as Microsoft claims a 1 minute .wav file would be over 10MB.
I expected support for a new format as the new paint supports PNG.
Last edited by APTX on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Ok, I just checked the allowed attachments to see if you can post a php file.

Well, no, someone can not post a php file, but you are allowed to add it as an extension in the adminCP. Why let someone add the .php extension in the allowed extensions list, but not let them post php files?

If you are going to disallow php files please do it completely...

But anyways, I was just testing it since I am making a mod. One that will change the file extension and allow any file to be uploaded... :P

EDIT: Unless I forget to enable that attachment group...that might be why it isnt allowed. :lol:

Anyways, php scripts CAN be allowed, they are not hardcodded to be disallowed!

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I think I got it to work. :D

I attached the changes I made...

I can't find any bugs in it(though there probably are a few spots that I missed, I dont know what all uses the get_extension() function)
Attachments
attach_extensions.txt
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

titan485

Post by titan485 »

I don't know how you're going to like me suggesting things after this obviously seems to be resolved but in my opinion I would definately add these extensions:

7Z
Torrent
XML - I use it alot :( even with the security
ODT - I don't even own word
MP3
OGG - w00t
WAV

_underscore_

Post by _underscore_ »

titan485 wrote: I don't know how you're going to like me suggesting things after this obviously seems to be resolved but in my opinion I would definately add these extensions:

7Z
Torrent
XML - I use it alot :( even with the security
ODT - I don't even own word
MP3
OGG - w00t
WAV

All of those (excluding XML, which has security issues) are already on the list, I believe. ;)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Yawnster, I have a rather largish list of upload icons (full 128px square size) with alpha masks if you want them.

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

Hmm.. post a link to them here and/or on the bugreport and see what they say.. Personally I would never have the skills to provide them so :P

Yawnster :)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Here is a small sampling... I have more, of course, and can easily resize them.

Filetypes: PNG with Alpha Masks. (semi-transparent shadow)