Transfer Posts/Forums/Database from phpbb2 to phpbb3

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Case

Re: Transfer Posts/Forums/Database from phpbb2 to phpbb3

Post by Case »

Amazing how often I forget what was written only a few posts earlier in a thread. Thanks.

I'm guessing it must be some pretty rare/unstable modifications then if there are no obvious examples.

profpete

Post by profpete »

Cat heirachy is pretty destructive

code reader

Post by code reader »

iirc, there is more than one "subforum" mod.
like profpete,i would guess these are the prime candidates for causing troubles to the upgrade.
it is possible that the official upgrade will still work OK, but it is almost certain you will lose the sub-forum structure of your board.
this should not be a huge problem: manuall reordering the forum structure should be orders of magnitude simpler than manually dealing with each user and/or each post.

in addition, at least one of the subforum mod authors declared that he intends to provide an upgrade script (could be a nodification of the "official" upgrade script, or completely separate one, i'm not sure) that will correctly handle boards' that use his mod upgrade to olympus.

my suggestion: once it is out, try the official upgrade first, and test to see of everything upgraded OK.
if it didn't, try to determine which MOD caused the problem, and contact the MOD author, or go to the MOD official support location (may or may not be a thread on phpbb.com), and ask the MOD authors and other users of the MOD for suggestions/solutions.

-----------------------------------------------------------
this whole discussion highlight (again) why does it makes sense (at least to me) for the developers to make the upgrade script available, if not to everyone, at least to MOD authors. since this issue was beaten to death more than once, i doubt another long argument about it is in place. :(

pc-tutorials

Post by pc-tutorials »

Another question: The files are replaced and renamed, right? Will that upgrade script delete the old files and create new one? Does it delete the mod's, or do you have to clean it up by yourself? (I mean mod's in the code, not in the table)
for($i=1;$i>0;$i++){
echo "Bug detected, fix in progress";
}
----------------
Sorry for bad English, I'm not native :)

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

I'd guess the script only deals with the database. But that's just a guess.

EDIT: Read the thread next to this one