Beta 2 live?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
everlast365

Beta 2 live?

Post by everlast365 »

can this beta 2 be used live? or should we wait?

SamG

Re: Beta 2 live?

Post by SamG »

I feel pretty certain that using any phpBB 3 beta live would be against the developers' recommendation. It won't be until the release candidate (RC) phase that live use will be supported.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

d4rkst4r123

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

agreed.

DigitalShadow

Post by DigitalShadow »

must be hard to read Acyd Burn's announcement --->phpBB 3.0 Beta2 released *sigh*
((perfect timing-_-, i wasnt able to log in this weekend cuz Dad thinks this site is bad and that your all the spawn of Satan....hmm go figure^_^))

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Just as long as there are no more database changes and updates. I would use the Beta 2 in a live situation. Just update from the CVS once a week.

SamG

Post by SamG »

If people are going to undermine the NO support (including database upgrades from beta to beta) and the do NOT use betas in a live environment policies of the teams, then it makes those of us who try to play by the rules and support the teams look unhelpful or even rude.

I guess it's time to let the people who know better than the rest of us run the show. Ya'll have fun.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Advent.Author

Post by Advent.Author »

NO! Don't do that! Without you people, there would be no phpbb! We love you in a 'I don't even know who the heck you are, but you're doing a great job' sort of way! :lol:

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

SamG wrote: If people are going to undermine the NO support (including database upgrades from beta to beta) and the do NOT use betas in a live environment policies of the teams, then it makes those of us who try to play by the rules and support the teams look unhelpful or even rude.

I guess it's time to let the people who know better than the rest of us run the show. Ya'll have fun.

What is with everyone's freak out afraid attitude when it comes to this kind of stuff?

Its not a policy. It is a recommendation to NOT use beta in a live environment.

What are these rules? How are we NOT helping with the development of Olympus by running the site live, (or in a closed environment) fixing bugs ourselves and reporting the fixes to the bug tracker?

I guess we are better than you. Rather than sit around picking your butt waiting for Beta 3, then 4.. then RC 1 then RC 2.. etc. Why not install the CVS version and use it until you find a bug.. then fix it and report it. You would be helping the dev team a lot more than just sitting here.

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Sam, some of us old fogeys might remember a user called "AJ Riddle".

There is a no support policy for beta boards run in a live environment. You would find that by reading the forum description of the "3.0 Beta Support" forum at http://www.phpbb.com." target="_blank
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

My, my... there is a reason the Devs have told us... VERY clearly NOT to run a live enviornment on a pre-RC olympus board.

There is a reason!...

I'll figure it out here in a minute, but I know there is one!

Okay, so I'm kidding, the reason is that you get people who don't know what they are doing, installing the pre-release Olympus, running it live and then... OH NO!!! they are STUCK!

And why are they stuck? Because what we said would happen, happened.
The database changed. And the Admin could NOT handle it.
And now you have YOUR users frustrated, and YOU are frustrated because YOU can't upgrade your board.
Did we warn you? yes we did! (this is not directed at any person in paticular)
And by giving support to the people who are running live enviornments, we are encouraging it, they... we.... just can't do it. It's just not right. Not at this stage.

Are some experts doing it? You betcha, me included. But you won't find me asking for support. If I fall into a pile of dog woops for running a live board, it's my own stinkin' fault.

So I say again, DO NOT RUN A PRE-RELEASE BOARD! There is NO Support for it, and very limited support for even those that DON'T run it live.
Please understand, that we are not being rude, or mean, we are not trying to stifle anyone, but a policy is a policy, and we have to follow it.
And many of you know, many of us still do give you support. But please don't push it!

Thanks,
- Highway