URL changes from phpbb2

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
elmar

URL changes from phpbb2

Post by elmar »

Guys,

I am running a couple of large phpbb2 communities and some of them are SEO modified (flat urls).
Now because Olympus is all based around forums - so there is no more category param as viewforum.php?c=
On change from phpbb2 to olympus this would cause a bit of a problem (SEO or not SEO forums makes little difference). This problem would be more for boards that have deep links to their forum pages...

Say my phpbb2 board has a category:
?c=1

and also a forum:
?f=1

How will the converstion script work with those? I am guessing olympus will convert the ?c=1 to ?f=1 as far as i know and ?f=1 (phpbb2) to ?f=2...

Basicly my main concern is to have all phpbb2 pages already cached by Google/Yahoo still working after conversion to olympus and even better displaying correct content.

Elmz

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: URL changes from phpbb2

Post by Highway of Life »

The conversion script is based off of IDs:
Category ID, Forum ID, Topic ID, and Post ID.
Each one will transfer straight across, this will keep the forum in order.

Then of course, the Olympus URL format is &f=xx&t=xx&p=xx

Eelke

Re: URL changes from phpbb2

Post by Eelke »

Highway of Life wrote: The conversion script is based off of IDs:
Category ID, Forum ID, Topic ID, and Post ID.
Each one will transfer straight across, this will keep the forum in order.

Well, I think that's his point, it couldn'te be that straightforward because 3.0.x has no more notion of categories. A category will also be a forum, so what used to be categories and forums will now all end up in the same ID-pool. So it really completely depends on the conversion script, I'd say.

Possibly your best bet is to just see how things end up after converting and then creating static mappings from old forums to new. May or may not be feasible depending on the number of forums you have.