beta 2?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
code reader

beta 2?

Post by code reader »

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 57#2266257" target="_blank

did i miss something?
was beta-2 announced?

ElbertF

Re: beta 2?

Post by ElbertF »

Beta2 is in the making, since Beta1 is already out. ;)

search.php?keywords=beta2

code reader

Post by code reader »

if you'd bothered to read the link i posted you would immediately see the difference.
when did acydburn, or any other developer for that matter, ever say something about beta 2 ?
ttbomk, this is a first. (unless, of course, as i said in my original post, i missed something).

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I did. And sure he has, he even mentioned 3.2 (in the bug tracker mostly). But it's no surprise is it? Everybody knows Beta2 will come (my guess is pretty soon).

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

Beta2 would be great news only if it came with a promise for an upgrade path to Gold... otherwise, ordinary development process.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

SamG

Post by SamG »

I think Acyd's point is that the behavior will be changed for the next beta, that people can look forward to that being addressed in the next release. I realize he could have said it something like I just said it, but I'm not sure there is any meaningful difference.
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

code reader

Post by code reader »

usually they say something like: "this feature was added in CVS" (it was, i looked...).
theoretically, it was possible that the next release after beta 1 would be RC 1.
everybody always acknowledge that there may be more than one beta, but this is the first time i read anything from which you can deduce "positively" that beta 2 is in the pipes.

actually, reading acyd's reply, i took it as meaning "beta 2 is imminent" (or maybe even "beta 2 is already out"), to the point i started looking for beta 2 release announcement, thinking i may have missed it.
that's why i started this thread, mainly to ask if anyone knows something i dont, and is willing to share.

(and spambot: there were many references to 3.2, but, ttbomk, until now no developer ever said anything regarding how many beta releases are planned, except the trivial "at least one". same with RC: we know that RC release(s) are planned, so there will be at least one RC. it is likely but not certain that there will be more than one, but nobody will say how many will there be, mainly because nobody knows...)

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Acyd Burn was talking about multiple beta releases the day beta 1 (this number means something) was released. To me and others it was pretty clear that there will probably be a few before RC 1. :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

this discussion is getting less and less productive, but please note that probably != certainly.
of course we all thought that there probably will be more than one beta (calling it beta-1 was somewhat of a giveaway). it is even prety probable that there will be more than 2.
however, this is different from a developer specifically mentioning beta 2, especially when said developer is using present tense. ("In beta2 this is configurable within the forum settings" and not "In beta2 this will be configurable within the forum settings")
Last edited by code reader on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

Hmm, well, okay.. OMG Beta 2 is coming! :o

And now what.. :|