HTML in Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Lastof

Re: HTML in Olympus

Post by Lastof »

1. Adding a shout box would be considered modding, and editing the style, and support for them is prohibited at this time. So, unfortunately, we aren't allowed to help you.

2. In addition, I suggest that maybe you read up on what html is, so that you better understand what you are doing.

3. There had been a misunderstanding in this topic, mainly perpetrated by The Emperor, and as far as I can tell, little blame can be placed on Brutus or the rest of us (which of you want's to be Brutus) HTML can no longer be included in posts, and custom BBCode must be used. However, it can still be used in the templates (since, well, it's kinda the back bone of the web, see point 2). There is no need to translate it into BBC code (Though, what the BBC has to do with anything here I'm not quite sure, they do radio and TV, not software, maybe it's part of their podcasting initiative). Infact, using BBCode in the template would be, foolish, and pointless.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar »

Lasthof wrote: 1. Adding a shout box would be considered modding, and editing the style, and support for them is prohibited at this time. So, unfortunately, we aren't allowed to help you.

I know that ,u are not allowed to give support for modding questions,but my question was a general question
is it possible to turn HTML into BBcode (not BBC I was wrong :oops: :oops: :oops: )
if yes is it difficult???

I think u shoulb be allowed to answer this question now ;) ;) ;)
JuliusCaesar

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

The use of HTML in posting can be almost perfectly reproduced by a decent set of custom BBCodes.

For example (assuming this still works):

Oooooo, look, pretty spoiler

We have here a spoiler BBCode. This is actually using more advanced html than the basic user can be expected to know, or should be allowed to use for security reasons. However, since the BBcode only allows it to be used in one way, it is safe, and easy.

There is a list of BBcodes that one user has created here, which gives a idea of what you could potentially manage using them, and most of them are only basic. ACP => Posting => BBcode is where you add them. Try it out.

Currently there is an issue with the number you can add (only 17), however, this is currently being fixed by DavidMJ, who commited the first precursors to the change into the cvs in the last 12 hours. From what has been hinted at, the limit will be past the 500 mark. Wich is more than enough for anyone.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

DavidMJ

Post by DavidMJ »

Database compatiblity permitting, it should be over four times that amount.
Freedom from fear

JuliusCaesar

Post by JuliusCaesar »

alright ,thx very much
JuliusCaesar

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

what about migrating posts though. say your forum currently allows HTML, well with the upgrade, how will those posts be handled? will the new "no HTML!" rule be retroactive, and then wouldn't that *beep* up a good number of old posts? how will this be handled?

EDIT: also can anyone post the HTML used for the spoiler code on this here area51 install? that's the nicest formatted spoiler code I've seen.

Schumi

Post by Schumi »

NNO-Stephen wrote: EDIT: also can anyone post the HTML used for the spoiler code on this here area51 install? that's the nicest formatted spoiler code I've seen.

Just have a look at the html source generated for this page ;).
Usage:

Code: Select all

[spoiler]{TEXT}[/spoiler]
Replacement:

Code: Select all

<span class="quotetitle"><b>Spoiler:</b></span><span style="background-color:white;color:white;">{TEXT}</span>
"If sharks die, the sea dies" - Andy Cobb, ambassador SHARKPROJECT South Africa

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

thanks sir :)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Here is a list of spoiler codes that spambot and I worked on, and variations. :D

[Removed]

BondGamer

Post by BondGamer »

No HTML in postings? I don't like that at all. Sometimes I like to copy and paste stuff into a post that has HTML and don't want to deal with formatting it to BBCode.