Community moderation

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
EXreaction

Re: Community moderation

Post by EXreaction »

Highway of Life wrote: There ya go!!!

Now you're catching it. ;)

Well, if someone does make one, there better be a list of everyone that got to X level in karma within the last X number of days(it would be like the memberlist where you could sort it by a bunch of ways).

And unlike the vB karma system, it should never be anonymous. Then nobody knows who is giving them points or why(someone could write a basic karma message in their UCP that would be used every time if they do not post a comment otherwise).

:mrgreen:

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Its not anonymous unless the user giving the "rep" chooses to make himself anonymous.

on the vB board that I'm talking about... 99% of the users DO NOT give anonymous reps.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Highway of Life wrote: Its not anonymous unless the user giving the "rep" chooses to make himself anonymous.

on the vB board that I'm talking about... 99% of the users DO NOT give anonymous reps.

One of the boards I visit just recently updated to the latest version of vB, and it doesn't tell you who gave you points unless they say their name... :P

lanesharon

Post by lanesharon »

I use phpbb for a rare cancer group. Since most people are not very computer literate, it makes for a lot of work for me. I have to tell you, that these people do not have time to 'vote' on topics. This forum is not about a popularity contest, it is about saving a life!

And, from a personal point of view, I find these voting style forums just annoying. I totally disregard the voting option since it can be padded anyway. It might be a novelty for new members, but after a while of being a member, most people are not going to do this.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

You may think that someone might not have enough time, but it would be something like Digg where you just hit a thumbs up button and it gives them an extra point. It wouldn't take more than a second to do.

Lieutenant Clone

Post by Lieutenant Clone »

Exactly. Its easy, and regular members would no doubt take part. Sure, you might not want this on such a forum as yours, but thats one out of millions. Just go to an existing forum using a karma solution and look how much it is used.
Dennis Robinson

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Somehow I doubt lanesharon is talking about the same kind of system we are discussing.