Warning users, does it have any sense ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Warning users, does it have any sense ?

Post by Highway of Life »

Riiiiiiight.... I see what he meant now.

If you blocked a user by IP who was accessing your forum through a hotspot or a Proxy, then you would effect all the users who access that hotspot or Proxy from visiting your forum.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Well, I'm not sure if that's what he meant, that's what I tried to ask :)

APTX

Post by APTX »

Well that what you said as well but I wanted to point out that you don't need to "find another machine".

You can't really extend "finding another machine" by "finding another IP" because many machines may use one IP but one machine can also have many IPs.

I don't understand why you say this argument would be mute against what I quoted before as even if you would "be OK with shutting off an entire provider." as anyone who would use a proxy would be smart enough to use one from a different provider.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Ah, OK, that's a fair point. I suppose it will vary from site to site how likely it is for someone to be savvy enough to come up with ways to get another IP.