Warning users, does it have any sense ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
nasty_psycho

Warning users, does it have any sense ?

Post by nasty_psycho »

Yesterday I've downloaded and installed phpBB3, and I have to say that i was really impressed with the improvements over 2.x.
After i've installed it i made a custom theme and started the forum.
I have craeted a test account and warned him 9 times, and .... NOTHING, the user still can post and is not affected in anyway (except when you see his profile you can see 9 warns)
I didn't knew where to post for it cause it mey be a bug or feature request. I suggest making a warning system similar to the one from IPB, where the user have a graphical bar showing the warn level, and if he exceed (let's say 50%), he can't post, 100% -> banned, etc.
Thank you.

ElbertF

Re: Warning users, does it have any sense ?

Post by ElbertF »

This feature might make it to 3.2, not to 3.0. The warning function is nothing more then a, well, warning function..

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Hey! Welcome to the Alien world!

Warning is stored in the user notes, and you can give him a million warnings, and all it's going to do is give him a million PMs that have Warnings. (but all the staff members can view all the warnings you give him)

If you want to Ban him, you can do it using the MCP or ACP banning feature. It's quite easy. :D

nasty_psycho

Post by nasty_psycho »

Highway of Life wrote: Hey! Welcome to the Alien world!

Warning is stored in the user notes, and you can give him a million warnings, and all it's going to do is give him a million PMs that have Warnings. (but all the staff members can view all the warnings you give him)

If you want to Ban him, you can do it using the MCP or ACP banning feature. It's quite easy. :D

No, I had IPB, but i choose phpBB bceuse you are free (and good :P), there i had mods who where giving users warns everytime they do something wrong and don't care about if they where banned or not, the forum was "intelligent" and knew when to ban somebody.

I can write this feature and plug it to your forum software, but will you aprove it ?

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

They are already planning an Events System for 3.2, with a lot of "intelligent" features including this one. If you want the feature in 3.0, you can make a mod once it's released, but don't expect them to use your code.

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

I've had to manage the moderators at a large commercial board. We modded it to create a warn function (which did not autoban, but kept track of the number of warnings, and allowed mods to ban only after the 4th warning). Warning functionality is extremely important in such a circumstance. Even better would be the ability to give "canned" warnings that the admin can set up and the mods apply.

Also, a "score" system of some kind would be great, where different warnings have different severities (so you don't get banned for 4 tiny violations of forum rules, but one really, really BIG violation results in a ban instead of the mod having to either create three "bogus" warnings to be able to ban). This keeps moderation in such situations much, much more equal. When a board has a dozen or more mods, it's a huge challenge to ensure that modding is consistent. Any tools that can help with that are wonderful.

Oops...I guess I got a bit off-point. Anyway, warning functionality is a great thing. :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

nasty_psycho wrote: ...
I suggest making a warning system similar to the one from IPB, where the user have a graphical bar showing the warn level, and if he exceed (let's say 50%), he can't post, 100% -> banned, etc.
Thank you.
just curious: once a user can't post, why would he/she get any more warnings?

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

code reader wrote:
nasty_psycho wrote: ...
I suggest making a warning system similar to the one from IPB, where the user have a graphical bar showing the warn level, and if he exceed (let's say 50%), he can't post, 100% -> banned, etc.
Thank you.
just curious: once a user can't post, why would he/she get any more warnings?

Presumably, the condition of non-posting would be temporary?

Redscape

Post by Redscape »

I find the whole "warning" system dubious at best. What point is there in banning a member when that person can simply create a new account? Worse, by banning someone you throw down a potential challenge of who can outlast whom in a war of mischievous posts and false accounts. Far better in most cases to contact an offending user with a hand-written note which is firm but not connoting Moderator anxiety or hot-headedness over the matter than to issue multiple "warning" e-tickets to the repeat offender.
Deluxe Diplomacy Online
http://www.redscape.com

cutaia

Post by cutaia »

Here, here!