phpBB version 30.0.0

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Newfy

phpBB version 30.0.0

Post by Newfy »

Imagine a phpBB version 30.0.0

Features:

Brain-Link: just think about what you want to post
Life Avatar: the avatar is a portable webcam, everyone could see where you are
Voice threads: Audio-based threads - each post is verbal
SuperFonts: Every font in the whole world available for posting
Court System: People could go on trial before being banned
Citizen Ban: If 5 people who are not mods or admins want someone banned, that person gets automatically banned.
Thread Moderator: The person who created a thread would have the right to edit/delete/lock thread
Moderator/Admin Elections: If 20 people agree, one person can become admin or mod
AI Moderator/Admin: A robot member would detect rule breaks, and automatically warn and ban
Alter-Ego: The same user can have more than one username on the same account and can log in as either one
SuperSecurity: Each user would need 2 passwords to log in
Ban-by-Country: Ban all members of a particular country; they can never register or even visit
PhoneAccess: In case a person has no Internet access, they can dial a phone number with their modem and access the forum for free or cost
Mutiny: If 50% of the users agree, the admins get banned
Communicator: You could access the forum with your TV, or make a voice phone call to make a post or to hear posts
Quit: If a person wants to quit they could delete their own account and all their posts would auto-disappear

itunes66

Re: phpBB version 30.0.0

Post by itunes66 »

thats more like a 10.0.0 a 30.0.0 would be 30000000 years more advanced
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

If only it was so simple nowadays.....

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

Newfy wrote: person who created a thread would have the right to edit/delete/lock thread

lol! That feature exists in phpBB3!

VinDuv

Post by VinDuv »

Newfy wrote: Thread Moderator: The person who created a thread would have the right to edit/delete/lock thread

With that, users couldn't discuss any more... They would have to agree with the thread creator. :roll: If not, edit or delete :|

With this option activated, you'd probably delete my post :mrgreen:

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

I can only see 3 of those not being able to be done, (Brain-link, Life Avatar and SuperFonts obviously), have given me a few ideas for MODs actually hehe..

All the audio ones are possible but wouldnt work as expected..

Great thread bud.. Yawnster

gLiTcH_

Post by gLiTcH_ »

Newfy wrote: Court System: People could go on trial before being banned

This could be possible using permissions I think, just add the person on "Trial" to a special usergroup. Only that usergroup can see the hidden forum where supposedly admins can interact with the people on Trial. Although I find this a bad idea hehe
Newfy wrote: Citizen Ban: If 5 people who are not mods or admins want someone banned, that person gets automatically banned.

This can easily be abused.
Newfy wrote: Moderator/Admin Elections: If 20 people agree, one person can become admin or mod

Not a great idea, I can get 20 of my friends and have them make me admin, then after I'm admin I'll make the 20 people who voted for me as admins too.
Newfy wrote: ]Mutiny: If 50% of the users agree, the admins get banned

What happens after that? :lol:

funny thread though hehe

Lurttinen

Post by Lurttinen »

The vote for admin would be a good feture for those boards wich has been abandoned by the original webmaster.
Someone could take over and probably fix some issues they might have.

But, As most of the forum -users-. (not talkin bout you who run your own forum), especially, if it's not a computer related forum.
Doesnt have a clue on what they are doing.

This is something where the forum bot would need to take place. To watch over how the newly created admin handles it's job. So this bot would have a pre-defineed set of rules on witch to act.
For example, intervene, if the admin does something stupid on the ACP, or tries to ban a user who is falsely accused. (Hey, i think that's possible in about 30K years. 8) )

But what would happen, if the "mutiny" takes place and the original admin is banned? As long as he's paying the bills...
he just might pull the plug and end the forum there.

So that's not a good way to go. Admin is the one who sets the forum and it's policies.
If the user doesnt like it. They can allways create their own forum, or just leave..
One could use the mutiny to transfer a car forum to a gardening forum. I dont think forum users should be ever given that much power

What i would like to see in the future. The level of anonymity.
No way. We get enough trolls wich just shoot from the bushes and doesnt have anything useful to say.
So, make MOD or a feature, wich would force the user to validate himself.
Smartcard's, fingerprints, retinal/rectal scans could be utilized. :o
To make sure to keep the discussion nice and clean without the trolls.

Offcourse, there would also be option available to anonymity. Logging IP addresses are waste of time as you can change them and in most countries you need a police and a court order to tie the IP address to a specific computer from ISP's records.
Most trolls just annoy the *click* out of people and doesnt go that far as violating any laws. Still, you would like to kick their *double click*
So make the people moderate themselves by taking away the anonymity. Writers details would be available to view next to the post.
When registering to a non-anonymous forum. user should accept that their personal details are shown in public. (Bank account balance, name of pet's, when they last time had... a sandwich. )

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Bwahahahaha!!! :lol:

Funny thread.

Actually, about half of the features suggested are MOD's, or will be MOD's pretty soon, or can easily be created as a MOD NOW.

Many of the ones that are not currently easily possible seem a little... far fetched... out the window... off the wall... ?
Though I think Lurttinen pretty much already addressed which features I'm talking about.
Once you get to the whole audio thing, you might as well just use the webchat system. Audio or Video.

The voting idea was an interesting one, but it would have to be scaled based on board size.
For instance, 5 is REALLY REALLY small.
Something like 50 is closer to the mark, and you would only want it to promote a user to a level of MOD... then you could have it "pending Admin approval", which would make the selection safer.
The whole users-take-over-the-world idea is obviously not a good one... easy abuse, and the problem of people can just get their own forum, or go use another.

SuperFont, I think is a near-future phenomenon, not all the fonts in the world, but perhaps a very large selection of fonts.
vB already has a scaled down version of this feature.

PhoneAccess already exits, all you would need is a css style to handle LDAP.

AI Moderator/Admin: Would be a great MOD, and I think that it will be created in the near future... not an easy MOD by any stretch, but something that could be implemented by phpBB7
Or in the early stages, as in phpBB5, you could just have the AI put the post on 'probation' until a MOD or Admin could look into it.

Citizen Ban exists in certain game or chat room software already... one that comes to mind is iSketch... you can vote a person out of the room with 3 votes from 3 people.
You could make it something larger like 15 or 20 votes, and the user would again be put on Probation for a MOD or Admin to look into.

SuperSecurity is currently possible, but annoying, there are other varification methods that could be used as well.

Thread Moderator was already addressed, I feel the same way, and it currently in phpBB3, there exists an option to allow topic authors to lock their own topics, which is a good cover for this feature.

Quite exits already as well... both by self (user) and Admin.

Waleed

Post by Waleed »

Newfy wrote: Court System: People could go on trial before being banned

AI Moderator/Admin: A robot member would detect rule breaks, and automatically warn and ban

I like these two :twisted: