Olympus vs. the rest

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Waleed

Re: Olympus vs. the rest

Post by Waleed »

Uchiha Nick wrote: IMO it's a matter of which software your familiar with I 'grew up' with phpBB to put it bluntly. to me, the IPB and vB ACP's look cluttered and un-easy to use, but that's because I know phpBB from top to bottom and grew accustomed to it :)

I feel the same way. It always comes down to what a specific user is accustomed to.

WhiteWolfSix

Post by WhiteWolfSix »

Well guys, I am proud to be a part of this community! 8)
WhiteWolfSix (WW6)

yexusbeliever

Post by yexusbeliever »

Cap'n Refsmmat wrote: As I help administer a vB forum (3.6), I can offer this comparison:
  • Permissions: phpBB3 beats vB by a long shot here. phpBB3 has many more permissions and the system of overrides for a user in multiple usergroups is much cleaner.
  • Forum management: Each is roughly equal here.
  • Interface: vB is getting more and more cluttered with each release. The default skin is pathetic, not by aesthetic reasons, but because it is so reliant on tables and it contains some wretched excesses.
  • Templating: phpBB3's template system is much better than vB's.
  • phpBB3 lacks a calendar, which vB offers. But I don't really care about that.
  • Moderation features: vB beats phpBB by a long shot here. vB offers quick moderation of multiple posts in a topic at the same time, without going through the moderator control panel or anything. It also offers soft-deletion of posts and a superior warning/infraction system. However, phpBB's post reporting system is superior.
vB does, of course, have many many more options than phpBB3. It is still more suitable for larger forums due to its advanced moderation features. phpBB could fix that easily in 3.2, just by adding in-topic moderation, soft deletion, and perhaps some additional features for large forums like memcached.

Also phpBB3 loads faster than vB. And with phpBB you can find your posts with a quick click on "view your posts". This option is only seen so far in SMF and phpBB. For threads that you want to keep in view, you have to subscribe with vB.
hmm....

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

yexusbeliever wrote: Also phpBB3 loads faster than vB. And with phpBB you can find your posts with a quick click on "view your posts". This option is only seen so far in SMF and phpBB. For threads that you want to keep in view, you have to subscribe with vB.

Quick Links -> My Profile -> Find all posts by...

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Cap'n Refsmmat wrote: and perhaps some additional features for large forums like memcached.

Olympus features ACM (Advanced Cache Management) which allows adding new caching plugins easily (only need to drop in one file), so it's just a matter of someone writing a memcached cache plugin, which I'm sure will happen once final is released (or maybe even earlier ;-))

Cap'n Refsmmat

Post by Cap'n Refsmmat »

naderman wrote: Olympus features ACM (Advanced Cache Management) which allows adding new caching plugins easily (only need to drop in one file), so it's just a matter of someone writing a memcached cache plugin, which I'm sure will happen once final is released (or maybe even earlier ;-))

Indeed, I was just hinting at that being included by default. Many more hosts offer eAccelerator as well (since it's useful to any PHP script for its cache of compiled scripts), and I believe that has a good object cache included.

Support for more memory-based cache systems would be a good thing to advertise for phpBB. I'd like to see more features for large forums in general, like easier inline moderation. I do like the new post report system :D

edit: ironically, I just filed a bug report on the caching system... http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/viewreport.php?b=6748

Post by 829 »

Do not take this as a knock, but Olympus is not even ready yet and who knows when it will be ready for a production environment? It is like saying that new prototype Ferrari to be released sometime in the future "when it's ready" is so much better than anything that is is currently available and vice versa. All I have ever used is PHPBB, but after 3.something years I am ready to try something new to see if there is anything that is ready now that would be a viable competitor to PHPBB. Otherwise, I like the rest of you will just continue to wait until 3 is ready.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

Some of us have actually used phpBB3 and have had a chance to see it's features and how it works.
It's not like a new Ferrari where only a handful of people actually drive it before it's released.

This is more like we all get sent the Ferrari prototype to try out and see if we like it before it goes into production.
829 wrote: Do not take this as a knock, but Olympus is not even ready yet and who knows when it will be ready for a production environment? It is like saying that new prototype Ferrari to be released sometime in the future "when it's ready" is so much better than anything that is is currently available and vice versa. All I have ever used is PHPBB, but after 3.something years I am ready to try something new to see if there is anything that is ready now that would be a viable competitor to PHPBB. Otherwise, I like the rest of you will just continue to wait until 3 is ready.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

user99

Post by user99 »

Olympus is the best.

vBulletin is total rip. At one time I considered buying it, but you must pay for each different location, where you install this, even within same server. (just imagine $160 x {} and still more for updates & removing licence and so on)

Olympus features have been carefully selected, and definitely beats vBulletin on any practical aspects.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

user99 wrote: Olympus is the best.

vBulletin is total rip. At one time I considered buying it, but you must pay for each different location, where you install this, even within same server. (just imagine $160 x {} and still more for updates & removing licence and so on)

Olympus features have been carefully selected, and definitely beats vBulletin on any practical aspects.

it's actually not a rip.
It's just like Microsoft or Apple or any other software out there, where they have programmers that would like to get paid for all the hard work they put in.
Really, anybody that works as hard as the devs for phpBB or VB should get paid... but there are those of us that can't afford that kind of bill and therefore band together and create our own... such is how most OpenSource apps happen.

phpBB has an interesting story of it's own.
And if my website was making megabucks... I would buy a lot of stuff from phpBB so they can afford to put more time into it.
It's worth every penny of that $160.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply