vBulletin 3.6 and Olympus

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Tom_K

vBulletin 3.6 and Olympus

Post by Tom_K »

After a few months I checked vBulletin's page to see they are also developing a new version of their software. I must say the list of features is amazing.

I purchased their license last year when the progress of Olympus seemed to be at a stop. Since then the pace of Olympus development has improved but like many others have stated before me, it appears phpBB is only trying to catch up whereas vBulletin is introducing new features all the time. I am yet to make a switch to vBulletin since phpBB has so far served me very well but I must admit the new vBulletin version has really impressed me.

Not only the features but the fact that their development is so fast. We've been listening how Olympus is taking such a long time so that when it comes out, it will be much better than if it was rushed. Well, judging by the Bug tracker the many years of development have had little affect on the number of bugs since there are so many. Even developers have said they didn't expect so much of them. Nor has the long development brought any special features not already available in commercial forums.

This must sound like a vBulletin commercial but I think I may have crossed to the vBulletin side eventhough it means a lot of work with changing to a different, unfamiliar software. Basically, the long wait has got to me. I fail to see where Olympus (whenever it comes out) can offer more or even similar features as vBulletin. By the time it is released as a stable version, vBulletin will probably already have their next version ready.

This is not a when will it be released thread but just a few of my observations. I will still probably give phpBB two more months to see if Olympus is released and what it can offer. I hope the development team change a few things for the next release so we won't have to wait a few more years for the next version.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: vBulletin 3.6 and Olympus

Post by Highway of Life »

I think perhaps you've missed the point of:
    1. phpBB uniqueness
    2. Open source software
    3. phpBB stability
    4. Open source software
    5. phpBB reliability
    6. Open source software
    7. lightweight software
    8. Open source software
Are you paying for Olympus?
Is anybody? no, of course not.

I think few people are interested in comparing other BB features to Olympus, since it has it's own unique features, but what it all boils down to is this...

Have you even tried out an Olympus board? Tested it? Explored the features?

My guess is no, otherwise I doubt you would have posted this. (no offense)

[EDIT] Ah, it appears you used to.

Also, the wonderful thing about phpBB is that you can freely create MOD's, share MOD's, and get MOD's from other people, and in much higher quantity than vB
It's much easier to customize as well. And like the poster below stated, it's much better value for the money. :D
Last edited by Highway of Life on Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

RBH

Post by RBH »

vBulletin is wonderful, indeed. phpBB is - to some - slightly less wonderful, but far better value for money ;)

Wert

Post by Wert »

From the top of the page. Forum rules.
Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
This must sound like a vBulletin commercial
Doesn't just sound like, in fact it is.

It just sounds like you really enjoy VB (which is fine) and are ticked that phpBB won't give you the same exact feature set for free. Pardon me if I'm not terribly sympathetic here.

You'll find phpBB vs. this board or phpBB vs. that board threads probably won't be much appreciated here.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

As per Wert, I'm locking this :)

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です