Excellent s/w!!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
itunes66
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:28 am

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by itunes66 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:43 pm

i know about intel macs, i practially live with my macs lol, i go to apple.com like every day and you should check out Seve Jobs New Keynote On Leopard
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by EXreaction » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:56 pm

asmith3006 wrote: I really don't see why people bash windows so much though. Half the problem is that loads of people using it don't know what their doing, whereas mac and linux people tend to be more computer savy.


I would have to disagree with you there...

More like 3/4 or 4/5 of people don't know what they are doing. :mrgreen:

I hope to switch to Ubuntu soon. Hopefully I can get dual view working this time. :)

itunes66
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:28 am

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by itunes66 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:15 pm

not all mac people are computer savvy but most are
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

asmith3006
Registered User
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:09 pm

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by asmith3006 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:19 pm

EXreaction wrote: I hope to switch to Ubuntu soon. Hopefully I can get dual view working this time. :)
The exact reason why I didn't switch.

I thought I'd give it a try, to find out why everyone likes it so much.

I can see the point if you can't afford Windows, I can see the point for a web server, I can see the point for any kind of IP/Gateway/Proxy/VPN/Web/FTP/WebDAV server, but if you want a desktop solution and you can afford windows then I personally couldn't see the point of linux. It took me about 20 minutes to find out where apache stored the web pages on it, but that may be my stupidity than anything else....
c:\inetpub\wwwroot seems more logical to me than /usr/var/apache2/default or whatever it was, but then I may be biased.

Anyways, I hope you get it working and enjoy it :)

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by EXreaction » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:42 pm

asmith3006 wrote:
EXreaction wrote: I hope to switch to Ubuntu soon. Hopefully I can get dual view working this time. :)
The exact reason why I didn't switch.

I thought I'd give it a try, to find out why everyone likes it so much.

I can see the point if you can't afford Windows, I can see the point for a web server, I can see the point for any kind of IP/Gateway/Proxy/VPN/Web/FTP/WebDAV server, but if you want a desktop solution and you can afford windows then I personally couldn't see the point of linux. It took me about 20 minutes to find out where apache stored the web pages on it, but that may be my stupidity than anything else....
c:\inetpub\wwwroot seems more logical to me than /usr/var/apache2/default or whatever it was, but then I may be biased.

Anyways, I hope you get it working and enjoy it :)


I have used Linux a little before, and have learned where most things are stored. That is the hardest part about getting used to Linux, but after working with it for a few days you can learn it. :)

The biggest problem I have with windows is the crappy software for it. Every time you install something there is a good chance you are going to have stability problems(not MS's fault, its just that people that make the apps don't know what they are doing). With Linux(the distros I have tried) you can use the package manager, and everything stays nice and stable. :D

asmith3006
Registered User
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:09 pm

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by asmith3006 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:26 pm

EXreaction wrote: The biggest problem I have with windows is the crappy software for it. Every time you install something there is a good chance you are going to have stability problems(not MS's fault, its just that people that make the apps don't know what they are doing). With Linux(the distros I have tried) you can use the package manager, and everything stays nice and stable. :D

Which programs? I actually had the same problem with linux 4 years back. I put it on my laptop to run the Pop-11 compiler for Uni and couldn't get it to work. Took my laptop onto campus and had about three people have a go (self proclaimed linux experts) and they all gave me the standard advice for problems that IT people don't understand "re-install the OS" haha.

I'm well aware I've hijacked this and it's quickly becoming a windows vs linux debate. I normally hate those threads but this one seems to be going well. Everyone seems to be able to accept that their os of choice isn't perfect! Amazing really....

User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:38 pm

MINE IS PERFECT! MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ;) :lol:
Image

asmith3006
Registered User
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:09 pm

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by asmith3006 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:10 pm

Highway of Life wrote: MINE IS PERFECT! MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ;) :lol:
You big thread spoiler you.

What do you use then?

User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by Highway of Life » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:24 pm

haha, lol...

I use this... Image
(Panther)
Works good except all the new software coming out is for Tiger...
But I have not really neither felt the need to upgrade, for the reason that I'm weighing the cost vs what I would need from it. Right now, I think I could at least wait until they release Leopard before I buy a handful of Tiger licenses.

It won't be long until the will have to use the Lion, then I will feel at home. ;)
I wonder how soon they will run out of cats.

Speaking of which, since they just released the Mac Pro, prices of computers should come down like a rock, and I can get myself something much faster.

EDIT: For those that don't know, the OS X series has gone: Aqua, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, and Leopard is coming out soon...
Image

itunes66
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:28 am

Re: Excellent s/w!!

Post by itunes66 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:31 pm

The OSX Series is wrong on your post it is

Cheetah, Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, and Leopard
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

Post Reply