Version 3.0 release?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
DragonlordP

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by DragonlordP »

NeoThermic wrote: Nail. Head. Hit.

If we gave a deadline and it was missed, we would get complaints. If we don't give one, complaints. If we say its soon, and our definition of soon doesn't match their definition, then we get complaints. We just find it is far easier not to give timeframes and power on it with, far less people complain :)

NeoThermic
IMO and IME the last two or so years I've been here, that's not the situation. I think the best would be to say "We expect to have it ready by say September, but things could go wrong, in the end it's done when it's done". You really think you would get more complains than "when out phpbb 3.0"s you get now - or compains why there is no release date? How many people complained when the February/March psotfx estimation date wasn't reached? I've seen very few. I saw one recently just referring to it and someone instantly jumped on him to say "there!!! he complained! that's why we don't give release dates!!". Now, it can't be THAT painful, can it?

Anyway, this post is not to tell you what you should do, just for the sake of conversation. I really believe that in the end you would get far less complains this way. And if you don't reach an estimation date, come on, no heads will roll. Just don't say "it WILL be released on..". Say we estimate the release date around then, but.. And I think most of us will be happy.
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

Grok

Post by Grok »

A date is not really neccessary. Just some sort of progress report as to what is remaining and a vague idea of the time required would be very nice for those of us obsessed with getting our sites upgraded.

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

no1

no1 [no] interjection
1.an interjection used to indicate a negative response in order to refuse, deny, or disagree with something
•‘Will you be taking the car?’ – ‘No, not today’.
•‘Would you like a coffee?’ – ‘No, I’m fine, thanks’.
2.acknowledging a negative statement: used to acknowledge a negative statement, by expressing acceptance or understanding of something
•‘Nobody seems to have the time to really listen these days’. – ‘No, they don’t’.
3.indicating disbelief: used to indicate shock, disbelief, or disappointment at something somebody has said
•‘The car’s going to be in the garage for another week’. – ‘Oh no!’

noun
1.(plural noes or nos) answer or vote: an answer or vote of ‘no’
•They all gave resounding noes to the proposition.
2.somebody voting ‘no’: somebody who answers ‘no’ to a question or votes against something

[Old English na, from ne, ‘not’ + a, ‘ever’ (see AYE 2)]

say no
to express disagreement or refusal
the noes have it
used to indicate that the majority have voted against something

Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999, 2000 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.
No, we will not be providing a date, we will not indicate a timeframe. It will be done when it is done, and really thats all to it. Very simple and straight foward. Even easy to understand and relate to. Yes, you can relate to it, I know I can.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio