Version 3.0 release?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
EXreaction

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by EXreaction »

NeoThermic wrote: There certinally won't be any direct scripted update path from the beta to the gold, although there's a tiny chance that there might be one for RC to gold. We shall have to see though.

NeoThermic

You sure? I thought that they will have an upgrade script from Beta(s) -> RC(s) -> Final. I could have sworn they said that the betas will have an upgrade script :?

SHS`

Post by SHS` »

EXreaction wrote: You sure? I thought that they will have an upgrade script from Beta(s) -> RC(s) -> Final. I could have sworn they said that the betas will have an upgrade script :?
Search is a godsend... people should use it more often. ;) RC's will have upgrade/convertor scripts... Betas will depend on the flip of the coin of fate (something like Schrödinger's Cat).
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Drew***

Post by Drew*** »

NeoThermic wrote: In short, just looking and noting that beta *should* hopefully mean feature complete, then you're not looking at huge structure changes. However, if bottlenecks are found that are caused by database layout, it is conceivable that it would change. If you're good at MySQL (or your RDMS of choice) and PHP, there's no real reason why you couldn't try use a beta in a live environment and update as the beta progresses.

NeoThermic

Thank you for your reasonable explanation and answer.
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

SHS` wrote: Search is a godsend... people should use it more often. ;) RC's will have upgrade/convertor scripts... Betas will depend on the flip of the coin of fate (something like Schrödinger's Cat).

True, but that means I have to press a button and type something in, then hit anouther button. :lol:

Well then, I hope that coin flip lands right. ;)
(ATM I am guessing it will have an upgrade from beta to RC though(if they are even thinking about it). Since the Beta is extremely far along with bug fixes and that. But thats just a hope. :P)

smithy_dll

Post by smithy_dll »

EXreaction wrote: True, but that means I have to press a button and type something in, then hit anouther button. :lol:
Sounds an awful lot like the amount of effort it takes to make a post, infact I'd say it's less effort, hmm.
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

Mystie

Post by Mystie »

"everyone would be complaining"

I haven't complained once. ;)

To answer someone's question back there on "back ups" yeah, I've heard of them (thanks for the obvious..lol...) I purchased the domain name from a friend who is out of town for about a year and back ups are not in my possession. The software he used to create the forums completely sucks and I am not able to do much at all for saving user information. Something like 400 email addresses had to be saved individually, manually, if that gives you any idea of how restricted it is.

To us, it wont really matter how long it takes, just that we are able to work with it while its in the process of "going gold"

stickman10

Post by stickman10 »

NeoThermic wrote: if they were to be missed, everyone would be complaning.
In my opinion, it looks like everyone is already complaing about not have an estimated time-frame. I'm sure you would get a lot less complaints, if you did have a time-frame. Really, no matter what you do, people are always going to complain because people are selfish. They dont think about how hard it is to create such a powerful bulletin board, especially when the developers are volunteering their free time to create it.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

digioz wrote: I see! In that case, here is a different question. If I were to use the development version, what are the odds of the database table structure changing in a way that would prevent me from upgrading to the beta or final release of version 3.0? Are there any major database structure changes planned before beta release?
Small changes happen almost daily, at least once a week. I find it easy to keep up with, but it takes work. You should only do it if you want to help out (testing), know what you're doing and prepared to put some time in it.

NeoThermic

Post by NeoThermic »

stickman10 wrote:
NeoThermic wrote: if they were to be missed, everyone would be complaning.
In my opinion, it looks like everyone is already complaing about not have an estimated time-frame. I'm sure you would get a lot less complaints, if you did have a time-frame. Really, no matter what you do, people are always going to complain because people are selfish. They dont think about how hard it is to create such a powerful bulletin board, especially when the developers are volunteering their free time to create it.

Nail. Head. Hit.

If we gave a deadline and it was missed, we would get complaints. If we don't give one, complaints. If we say its soon, and our definition of soon doesn't match their definition, then we get complaints. We just find it is far easier not to give timeframes and power on it with, far less people complain :)

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

digioz

Post by digioz »

spambot wrote: Small changes happen almost daily, at least once a week. I find it easy to keep up with, but it takes work. You should only do it if you want to help out (testing), know what you're doing and prepared to put some time in it.
I will be more then happy to help out with the beta testing, if you guys still need people to do so. I have been writing and modifying PHP Applications since version 3, so I do have the knowledge. Thanks for the advice spambot. :)

Pete
DigiOz Multimedia
http://www.digioz.com