Version 3.0 release?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by EXreaction » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:58 pm

NeoThermic wrote: There certinally won't be any direct scripted update path from the beta to the gold, although there's a tiny chance that there might be one for RC to gold. We shall have to see though.

NeoThermic

You sure? I thought that they will have an upgrade script from Beta(s) -> RC(s) -> Final. I could have sworn they said that the betas will have an upgrade script :?

User avatar
SHS`
Registered User
Posts: 1628
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2001 9:13 am
Location: The Boonies, Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by SHS` » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:07 am

EXreaction wrote: You sure? I thought that they will have an upgrade script from Beta(s) -> RC(s) -> Final. I could have sworn they said that the betas will have an upgrade script :?
Search is a godsend... people should use it more often. ;) RC's will have upgrade/convertor scripts... Betas will depend on the flip of the coin of fate (something like Schrödinger's Cat).
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信
phpBB™ 3.1.x, Bug/Security trackers
phpBB™ Bertie Bear 3.0 — prosilver Edition!Asking Questions The Smart Way

Drew***
Registered User
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by Drew*** » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:26 am

NeoThermic wrote: In short, just looking and noting that beta *should* hopefully mean feature complete, then you're not looking at huge structure changes. However, if bottlenecks are found that are caused by database layout, it is conceivable that it would change. If you're good at MySQL (or your RDMS of choice) and PHP, there's no real reason why you couldn't try use a beta in a live environment and update as the beta progresses.

NeoThermic

Thank you for your reasonable explanation and answer.
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3

User avatar
EXreaction
Registered User
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:15 am

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by EXreaction » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:47 am

SHS` wrote: Search is a godsend... people should use it more often. ;) RC's will have upgrade/convertor scripts... Betas will depend on the flip of the coin of fate (something like Schrödinger's Cat).

True, but that means I have to press a button and type something in, then hit anouther button. :lol:

Well then, I hope that coin flip lands right. ;)
(ATM I am guessing it will have an upgrade from beta to RC though(if they are even thinking about it). Since the Beta is extremely far along with bug fixes and that. But thats just a hope. :P)

User avatar
smithy_dll
Registered User
Posts: 461
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:27 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by smithy_dll » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:47 am

EXreaction wrote: True, but that means I have to press a button and type something in, then hit anouther button. :lol:
Sounds an awful lot like the amount of effort it takes to make a post, infact I'd say it's less effort, hmm.
Image
phpBB, its open source, become involved, write a modification!
Modifications Database | MOD Development Forum Rules | MOD Studio

Mystie
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 11:05 pm

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by Mystie » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:12 am

"everyone would be complaining"

I haven't complained once. ;)

To answer someone's question back there on "back ups" yeah, I've heard of them (thanks for the obvious..lol...) I purchased the domain name from a friend who is out of town for about a year and back ups are not in my possession. The software he used to create the forums completely sucks and I am not able to do much at all for saving user information. Something like 400 email addresses had to be saved individually, manually, if that gives you any idea of how restricted it is.

To us, it wont really matter how long it takes, just that we are able to work with it while its in the process of "going gold"

stickman10
Registered User
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:59 pm

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by stickman10 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:37 am

NeoThermic wrote: if they were to be missed, everyone would be complaning.
In my opinion, it looks like everyone is already complaing about not have an estimated time-frame. I'm sure you would get a lot less complaints, if you did have a time-frame. Really, no matter what you do, people are always going to complain because people are selfish. They dont think about how hard it is to create such a powerful bulletin board, especially when the developers are volunteering their free time to create it.

ElbertF
Registered User
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:35 pm
Location: tracing..
Contact:

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by ElbertF » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:51 am

digioz wrote: I see! In that case, here is a different question. If I were to use the development version, what are the odds of the database table structure changing in a way that would prevent me from upgrading to the beta or final release of version 3.0? Are there any major database structure changes planned before beta release?
Small changes happen almost daily, at least once a week. I find it easy to keep up with, but it takes work. You should only do it if you want to help out (testing), know what you're doing and prepared to put some time in it.

NeoThermic
Registered User
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by NeoThermic » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:40 am

stickman10 wrote:
NeoThermic wrote: if they were to be missed, everyone would be complaning.
In my opinion, it looks like everyone is already complaing about not have an estimated time-frame. I'm sure you would get a lot less complaints, if you did have a time-frame. Really, no matter what you do, people are always going to complain because people are selfish. They dont think about how hard it is to create such a powerful bulletin board, especially when the developers are volunteering their free time to create it.

Nail. Head. Hit.

If we gave a deadline and it was missed, we would get complaints. If we don't give one, complaints. If we say its soon, and our definition of soon doesn't match their definition, then we get complaints. We just find it is far easier not to give timeframes and power on it with, far less people complain :)

NeoThermic
phpBB release date pool!
The NeoThermic.com... a well of information. Ask me for the bit bucket so you can drink its goodness. ||新熱です

User avatar
digioz
Registered User
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 7:36 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: Version 3.0 release?

Post by digioz » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:06 pm

spambot wrote: Small changes happen almost daily, at least once a week. I find it easy to keep up with, but it takes work. You should only do it if you want to help out (testing), know what you're doing and prepared to put some time in it.
I will be more then happy to help out with the beta testing, if you guys still need people to do so. I have been writing and modifying PHP Applications since version 3, so I do have the knowledge. Thanks for the advice spambot. :)

Pete
DigiOz Multimedia
http://www.digioz.com

Post Reply