[Olympus] Has it failed already?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: [Olympus] Has it failed already?

Post by Highway of Life »

That was soooo good, I'm going to quote it again. :D
Drexion wrote: When 3.0 is released, if only one person downloads it, installs it and runs it, and is happy with it then phpBB3.0 is a success imo.

Thankfully unlike other bbs teams, phpBB does not have to base its success on number of users, number of subscribers, total income or profit generated. This is the beauty of Open Source projects such as this, in which you do not end up with a product whose feature set driven by "oh put this, this and this in it and I'll buy it!" kind of nonsense.

I absolutely love the way the code flows, its easy for even a novice at php to pick up, read and understand, and then edit at will. This is probably the thing I love most about phpBB over other bbs systems, the code just makes sense, and everything clicks.

phpBB2 rocks, and so will phpBB3. Just wait and see :mrgreen:

Dr.Death

Post by Dr.Death »

agreed !
Doc.

warmweer

Post by warmweer »

Drexion wrote: When 3.0 is released, if only one person downloads it, installs it and runs it,
Can I be the one, please, please., pretty please 8)
Procrastination is my hobby, but I keep on postponing it.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

lol we'll all be a bunch of the ones. :D >.<

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

ronoxQ wrote: I support GOOD programs first, followed by freeware.
Only cheapskates support freeware.
I support Open Source, it actually has a philosophy behind it, whats freeware philosophy, 'no idiot would pay for this?'

When I have time I will be attempting to understand th phpBB3 code, I have taken a few quick looks through it but nothing major yet. I never got around to learning how to mod phpBB2, and it seems kind of pointless now, as I really do believe atleast Beta will be released within the year (note: pure speculation).

I might try a few simple MODs, most of them will probably be out allready but theres not better way to learn to do something than actually doing it.

Is there a place to disscuss features not in phpBB3 so people can decide what needs modding?

trenzterra

Post by trenzterra »

Highway of Life wrote: That was soooo good, I'm going to quote it again. :D
Drexion wrote: When 3.0 is released, if only one person downloads it, installs it and runs it, and is happy with it then phpBB3.0 is a success imo.

Thankfully unlike other bbs teams, phpBB does not have to base its success on number of users, number of subscribers, total income or profit generated. This is the beauty of Open Source projects such as this, in which you do not end up with a product whose feature set driven by "oh put this, this and this in it and I'll buy it!" kind of nonsense.

I absolutely love the way the code flows, its easy for even a novice at php to pick up, read and understand, and then edit at will. This is probably the thing I love most about phpBB over other bbs systems, the code just makes sense, and everything clicks.

phpBB2 rocks, and so will phpBB3. Just wait and see :mrgreen:
I officially declare phpBB3 a success then :lol:.

Anyway, there's no point arguing over this issue. People have different views... IMHO I would have very much loved for QR to be added, but of course I know that I can easily install it with a mod.

Which brings me to this... There should be a default interface for the enabling/disabling of MODs. By this I don't just mean installing MODs easily which can be done by EasyMOD. My greatest fear when upgrading to phpBB3 in future is that the my board will be b0rked as I have installed several MODs that I have lost track of in my forum so far.

Highway of Life

Yoda_IRC wrote: Is there a place to disscuss features not in phpBB3 so people can decide what needs modding?
Yes, several of us are working on Mods and hacks, and discussing what we would like to add to Olympus.

BTW, trenzterra, we have 3 versions of the QR already. :D
Competition makes great MODs :D

Also, I'm sure Olympus will set in motion a new set of guidelines that will keep the core code as uneffected as possible. At least, that's what we are doing. Less core code changes the better. That way it is easy to remove a Mod if you have to.

Though, I think they are working on some sort of Mod system. I seem to recall reading something about it, but I don't remember what it is exactly... oh well.

cmptch

Post by cmptch »

Highway of Life wrote: Less core code changes the better. That way it is easy to remove a Mod if you have to.
I can't agree more with you there. If I have to rewrite the core code, I always comment the original code.

Commenting saves lives.

Highway of Life

cmptch wrote: I can't agree more with you there. If I have to rewrite the core code, I always comment the original code.Commenting saves lives.
Yes, I agree with commenting it out... bug uh.. I think you perhaps misunderstood what I was saying.

The poster was suggesting that there be an easy way to activate and deactivate MOD's.
I was saying that as a MOD developer, it's best to use additional files whenever possible instead of modifiying or replacing the core code. I know that's not allways possible, but it is in most MOD cases. :D

cmptch

Post by cmptch »

Highway of Life wrote: Yes, I agree with commenting it out... bug uh.. I think you perhaps misunderstood what I was saying.
Yes, I did.
Highway of Life wrote: The poster was suggesting that there be an easy way to activate and deactivate MOD's.
I was saying that as a MOD developer, it's best to use additional files whenever possible instead of modifiying or replacing the core code. I know that's not allways possible, but it is in most MOD cases. :D
and I agree with this also. As a MOD user I try to choose mods that don't modify the "vanilla" code too much. so I guess that would make us a team, eh?